Aerial plants do not need land or can live on other plants without parasitizing them. They have gained more and more space among professional and amateur landscapers. Therefore, in this post you will see the main types, how to use them in decoration and much more. Check out!
5 types of aerial plants to join this trend
How about knowing a little more about this type of plant that has been gaining more and more space in homes? In this way, you will see the five main types and the main care for each of them. Look:
Orchids have a particular beauty and are also aerial plants. Their origin is Asian, in tropical and humid regions. They are one of the largest families in the plant kingdom, with over 25,000 species. However, you need to know how to care for these plants so that they can grow colorful and healthy. See the main care for them:
- Watering: Must be done in the morning. Because it has no substrate, it needs a very humid environment. Therefore, its root must be wet until the water runs off. After that, water should be sprayed on the leaves.
- Seedling: Aerial orchids are difficult to release seedlings. Therefore, the seedling should be done only when the plant has at least 25 cm or at least three roots.
- Brightness: Despite being typical of tropical forests, they prefer indirect light.
- Cultivation: The environment of this plant should always be humid and warm. Very cold weather can cause it to lose all its leaves and be unable to bloom. For fertilization, use the NPK 20-20-20 fertilizer, specific for orchids.
Bromeliads are plants of tropical origin and have a wide variety of species. Its format is very popular and has a colorful look. It is often used to decorate gardens. See below the main care for this plant.
- Watering: Must be done frequently. To do this, wet the center and spray water on the leaves.
- Seedling: Shoots should be removed only when they are one third of the parent plant. This should be done with pruning shears or a knife. If the species has a rhizome or stolon, the cut must be made 5 cm before the bud.
- Light: As a rule, the darker the leaves, the more light the bromeliad will need. In general, this plant likes light. Some can be grown in full sun.
- Cultivation: This plant does not require much maintenance. Dry and damaged leaves must be removed. Fertilizing should be done fortnightly with an NPK 4-14-8.
One plant that is the darling of the aerial plant world is the boa constrictor . She likes water a lot and doesn’t necessarily need substrate to stay alive. In addition, this plant grows very fast and can be used as a vine.
- Watering: Because it comes from a tropical region, it likes a lot of water. If it is grown outside the substrate, just keep it in a container with water. In addition, water should be sprayed on the leaves at least twice a week.
- Seedling: Each branch can be cut to make the seedling. This cut must be made with a knife or pruning shears. In addition, pruning should be carried out before a leaf. Wait for the cutting to dry before placing it in water or new substrate.
- Brightness: The boa likes shade and indirect light. For long, leafy stems, keep it in indirect light. If you want to control its growth, keep the plant in the shade.
- Cultivation: Maintenance should be done in spring and yellowed leaves must be removed. In addition, it is necessary to remove the branches that are not well formed.
When you think of aerial plants, this species comes to mind. The genus tillandsia is composed of more than 650 species. They are from the same family as bromeliads and can be seen on trees and even on wires. See the main care for them:
- Watering: It should be done three times a week with a spray bottle. Another option is to soak the plant in a bucket of water once a week.
- Seedling: The seedling can be made from another similar plant. Just plant it as soon as possible after harvest. Any piece of the mother plant serves as a seedling, as long as it has roots.
- Brightness: These plants like a lot of natural light. However, they should not be exposed to direct sunlight.
- Cultivation: It should be in a place with lots of air circulation and good lighting. A good indication of the health of the plant is the color of its leaves, the more vivid the color, the healthier it is.
This is a type of succulent with delicate leaves and they are beautiful. Tangled heart branches are thin and look like hearts. It can be considered an aerial plant because it needs very little substrate to live, and it can be grown in a kokedama . See the main care for this plant:
- Watering: Despite being a kind of succulent, it should be watered twice a week.
- Seedling: Put water on the tubers that form along the leaves to multiply this plant. Another option is to put the base of the leaves in water.
- Brightness: Should be in partial shade. However, if it is a variegated, with silvery spots on the leaves, the light should be more intense. The sun should be no more than two hours a day.
- Cultivation: The merciless sun can dry out the leaves of this plant. In addition, lack of water can be fatal for this species. Pruning should remove old and dry stems.
Now you know what the main types of aerial plants are. So how about learning a little more about caring for them? Also, you can see some tips on how to make arrangements with them.
15 decoration photos with aerial plants that will leave you in the clouds
When placing a new plant at home, you need to take several points into consideration. For example, lighting and other ambient conditions. Also, it needs to make sense with the home decor. In this way, see 15 ways to use aerial plants in decoration.
1. Aerial plants have gained more and more space
2. Whether among professionals or amateurs
3. Aerial plants are the new darlings
4. And there are several reasons for this.
5. For example, the ease of cultivation
6. Little care
7. And versatility
8. It all helps to make aerial plants famous
9. To use them at home, it takes creativity
10. After all, they are also part of the decoration
11. And they help make the internal design more alive
12. That is, with a more organic aspect
13. Therefore, bet on aerial plants
14. And see how they live up to their fame
15. So they will also be your darlings
Now choose the aerial plant that best adapts to your environment and start thinking about where in the house they will be. This type of plant deserves attention and attention. In this way, a great idea is to bet on a vertical pallet garden .