Although many people skip the lighting stage because they believe that this is just a detail, living room lighting is of paramount importance in a home renovation project. The truth is that good lighting not only guarantees the comfort required by the space, but also adds a special touch of elegance to the decor.
5 tips on how to light the room for a warm and welcoming atmosphere
To guide your living room lighting project, we have the help of the architect Alan Godoi , who ensures that the ideal choice is the one that completely meets your needs:
- Purpose: According to Alan, the first step in a lighting project is to understand how it will be used. If the room is used only as a living area, a simple design will meet the needs. If the TV will be the highlight of the room, a second option should be included.
- Distribution of furniture: According to him, “to include independent circuits – between focused light, general light, table lamp, among others – it is important to detect the positioning of armchairs, tables and furniture in general”. Thus, these small personal touches can be included in a more practical way.
- Warm light: The room – whether living, TV or dining – calls for a warm light, the well-known yellow lamps. For the architect, “a good environment needs an atmosphere, and nothing better than lighting to create it”.
- Focus on your needs: In order not to create doubts in your choices, Alan gives a clear suggestion, “we should avoid the opinions of the curious, as many indicate standard lighting formulas, but each project is unique, because each person has a different need”.
- Study your possibilities: The market offers numerous options for room lighting, and it is important that you carefully study each one that catches your attention the most. To find out which one best fits the project, Alan suggests “choosing between a general light with a diffuser, spot light with focus, indirect light, dichroic light with directional focus, table lamp, floor lamp, neon letterings, among many others” and ends by saying that “the important thing is to stay focused”.
A well-planned lighting project is able to further enhance the style of your living room, highlighting the decor, creating a sense of spaciousness and ensuring the warmth and well-being of its residents.
Types of living room lighting
Discover the main types of lighting that your room can receive to choose the one that best fits your space and best meets your needs:
Ideal for those who want to redirect light to a specific point, direct lighting has its self-explanatory name. It can be added to your project with a pendant on the table, a ceiling rail, recessed spots in the molding to highlight the paintings and even a floor or table lamp in your reading corner.
In this case, light is not the main focus. This is the case of the central chandelier installed on the ceiling, the wall sconces, among other options. Indirect light unpretentiously arranges the glow of the lamp. If this is the only resource used in your project, install indirect lighting on light surfaces, to reflect the light in a pleasant way.
The diffused lighting is perfect for creating a more intimate and comfortable environment, ideal for watching TV and relaxing. This sensation can be added with a lampshade with a dome, chandeliers that hide the lamps inside milky materials, among other options that have this “filter” softening light.
Accent lighting is a type of direct light, but more focused on an object. It is widely used in landscaping projects, but in the living room it is perfect for highlighting a painting or art objects, for example. You can use this type of lighting to highlight your favorite objects in your room.
It’s the famous LED light, that lit cord currently used in furniture, embedded in the lining, or even on the wall. When installed in a distributed manner, this light offers a very cozy and modern aesthetic.
Choosing the ideal light for your lighting project will ensure that your room is functional and has a unique style. The result may surprise you!
25 living room lighting ideas that will enhance your space
When planning a project, nothing better than studying some models. See the lighting projects below and get inspired by the rooms with lighting:
1. Planned lighting creates different sensations in the room
2. And coziness is paramount in this project
3. A well-distributed lighting enhances the decoration points
4. And warms the room, as if it were a hug
5. Yellow light is the most suitable for the room
6. Because it brings welcome, both to your reading corner
7. How to relax time
8. You can highlight specific points in the room with lighting
9. And still create several isolated points from each other
10. So you can turn on a specific light for a certain occasion
11. Create this strategy with a lamp or lamp
12. Or with spots built into separate circuits
13. Linear lighting is another cozy option
14. For it creates a cozy atmosphere in the room
15. LED strips are widely used in this function
16. Light fixtures are responsible for direct light
17. Just like the charming wall sconces
18. For a room integrated with another environment, direct lighting is essential
19. For slatted panels, the built-in LED light produces a sensational effect
20. Create spots with recessed spots in the ceiling for pleasant nuances of light
21. Create a charm in the TV room
22. Circumventing the living room curtain is also a solution
23. In a small room, the track with spots is quite functional
24. Including leds in the joinery will help to enhance the small space
25. For a modern project, a recessed linear light can enhance the environment
You can create different lighting proposals for your room within the decorative style you want to adhere to in your project. Just ensure that the result is welcoming, as the environment deserves.