Plants bring beauty, comfort and a more natural air to environments. So why not have them at home? A cool way to add them to a space is to make a green wall in place. Keep reading our post to check out ways to make this wall, the best plants for it and beautiful inspirations!
4 ways to make a green wall that are interesting
A green wall can be made in different ways and in different areas. With so many options, it can be difficult to decide which one is right for your home. With that in mind, we have separated information about the main models of this type of wall so you can get to know them and decide which one to do!
The living fence demarcates a space only with the use of plants or, even, with the vegetables accompanying the wall of the residence. Therefore, it is usually seen around houses in the city or in the countryside. The most used plants in this model of green wall are the bushes, for the look they give to the fence.
- First, know and prepare the soil in which the plants will be grown. You need to learn about the characteristics of the soil so you know what will grow well there and make sure it is level and even. Thus, the fence will develop properly and will not be crooked.
- Then choose the species of plant that will be used for the fence. The species must be defined according to the soil, climate, taste and preferences. If you want privacy, for example, you will have to grow a fence with taller plants.
- After choosing the plant, plant the seedlings in the ground. Remember to give adequate space between one seedling and another, considering its species, size and thickness.
- After planting, you have to wait until the seedlings have grown to give the fence the look you want. This wait will vary according to the species cultivated. Certain plants can take up to 4 months to fully develop.
- When the plants are already grown, prune and always perform maintenance so that your hedge is healthy and beautiful!
external green wall
The green wall can also decorate the outside area of your home, such as a backyard or a facade. In this case, plants usually take the entire length of it to hide the concrete and, thus, make the environment more beautiful.
- First, you must prepare the structure of the external area well to receive the vegetation. That is, you need to check for leaks, eliminate cracks in the wall, paint and waterproof it.
- Then plant the seedlings close to the wall, but not exactly on it. This is important, because the plant cannot take root in the wall. Then, open spaces in the ground near this structure, place the seedlings facing the wall and cover the openings with earth.
- The plant will grow in time and will gradually cover the outer wall. Your job at this stage is to irrigate it with a hose or through a drip system added to the wall.
- Also remember to prune monthly or every two months to direct the plant’s growth on the wall.
- When vegetation covers the entire length of the structure, you can decrease the frequency of pruning. But, it is necessary to continue with regular maintenance to take care of your green wall.
internal green wall
This type of wall is a good option to bring nature indoors, such as a living room or the balcony of an apartment. Plants can occupy the entire wall or just a part.
- As with the external green wall, here the first step has to be to analyze the wall, correct possible problems and waterproof it to avoid problems in the future.
- Then install bases to carry out the planting of the seedlings. Ideally, this base should be very close to the wall so that it is not exposed. Growing long plants is also a good idea to hide the support.
- After preparing your environment to receive green, choose one or more species of plants that you like and that adapt well to the amount of lighting that this space receives daily.
- Plant at the base and wait for the seedlings to grow. Again, the time will vary depending on the plant species you choose. Remember not to try to speed up the process by planting too many seedlings out into the space, as this can damage and even kill them.
- Once they have developed well, prune them if necessary and perform regular maintenance on your wall.
green wall with vases
Another cool format of green wall is made with vases. This model, which is like a vertical garden, is ideal for those who do not have time to take care of a space with so many plants or who do not want to make major changes in the structure of the environment.
- First, you have to define how the pots and the support that will be placed on the wall will be. Will they be conventional vases stuck on a wooden base? Or PETS bottles attached to a large metal rack?
- Then, see which species do well in your region, match the lighting of the place and like the type of vase you want to use.
- Install the pot support, which can be anything from nails to large wooden bases, on the wall. Also remember that the vessels can occupy the entire structure or just a region of it.
- Plant the seedlings in the pots and then place them on the wall of your house!
As you can see, this type of wall can adapt to large, small, outdoor and indoor spaces. So, just choose the ideal model for your environment and get your hands dirty to enjoy the advantages it brings.
Plants ideal for green wall
For the wall to give a nice result, you have to select one or more plants suitable for this type of coating. Therefore, below we separate 5 species that are ideal for him:
- American fern : It is mainly used in indoor green walls, because it does not need much light to develop. In addition, the American fern ( Nephrolepis exaltata ) is easy to grow and has an affordable price.
- Boxwood: the Buxus sempervirens , or boxwood, is widely used in hedges, as it is easy to prune and shape its specimens. It has a slow growth and also has a simple cultivation.
- Ivy : Ivy ( Hedera helix ) is suitable for external green walls, as it is a vine and creates a beautiful effect on the structure with its well-cut leaves. However, this plant prefers mild climates. So make sure it is suitable for your region.
- Cat’s Claw: Uncaria tomentosa is recommended only for external walls, because it retains a lot of moisture in the structure. It is interesting for outdoor areas because of the appearance it gives the area and because it grows fast. So, it can fill the wall faster than other species.
- Thumbergia: Thumbergia ( Thunbergia grandiflora ) is one of the favorite options for those who want to color the green wall. This is because it gives very beautiful bluish flowers and also grows quickly. When in bloom, remember that the plant attracts butterflies and hummingbirds.
These examples of ideal plants make it clear that, regardless of your type of wall, it will be beautiful, right? After all, they are all lovely!
Tips to keep the green wall healthy and charming
You have to take good care of the wall so that it always looks beautiful and beautifies your home. So here are 6 essential tips to keep you healthy:
- Plant selection: if you are going to grow more than one species of plant on your wall, remember to choose plants with equal needs. That way, everyone will receive the same care and stay healthy.
- Distribution of seedlings: when distributing the seedlings on the wall, pay attention to the distance between one and the other. They need to be spaced, according to the species, so that they grow, meet and coat the entire structure.
- Fertilization: this activity has to be carried out regularly so that the plants develop and remain healthy. Give preference to organic substrates.
- Irrigation: it is recommended to water it on alternate days, because in the vertical position the plants dry faster. So, even if the recommended for the chosen species is to do spaced watering, it is important to check the frequency of irrigation when they are vertical.
- Pruning: Pruning the wall has to be done regularly so that it looks beautiful and elegant. If you forget to perform this action, the wall will look unkempt and may still suffer from your health.
- Protection against pests and insects: it is also necessary to frequently apply products that protect the wall against pests and insects. Thus, you avoid problems in the structure and keep the plants healthy.
In addition to carrying out these care, pay attention to the plants when watering and pruning them to ensure that everything is ok. If you see something different, talk to a professional to find out what’s going on and how to resolve the situation.
30 green wall photos to inspire your wall montage
Now that you know the main green wall options, which plants to grow and how to care for this structure, it’s time to check out models to inspire you! So, check out the 30 beautiful ideas we separated:
1. The green wall enhances your decor
2. And it still improves the acoustic and thermal comfort of the environment
3. It is perfect for outdoor areas
4. The wall enhances the feeling of relaxation near the pool
5. The hedge delimits the space in a charming way
6. On the facade, plants bring beauty
7. And highlight your property among so many others
8. The green wall can also be made on balconies
9. It creates a beautiful integration between internal and external
10. In indoor spaces, he brings nature inside
11. This hallway has totally changed after adding the plants
12. A green wall with natural plants looks amazing
13. In addition to being beautiful, it can improve air quality
14. However, you can also use artificial plants
15. They are ideal for those who don’t have time to take care of the wall
16. And they also provide a beautiful result
17. The green wall with moss gives the place a unique look
18. Another advantage is that it does not need maintenance
19. The potted model is great for small to medium venues
20. He makes good use of space and makes it more charming
21. In a larger area, plants can be fixed in specific modules
22. A cool idea is to combine the wall with wood
23. The material may be present in furniture or in the structure
24. These two elements together refer to nature
25. And the atmosphere is even more charming
26. Mixing species on the wall also increases its beauty
27. To have a more colorful wall, bet on plants of different colors
28. This combination is great for bringing more life to the place
29. Placing vases increases the elegance of the area and the wall
30. Anyway, the green wall will be amazing for your house!
Do you already know what kind of green wall you are going to use in your home after seeing so many interesting options? In case you don’t know, but want to take advantage of its advantages, take a look at English wall options