The rustic floor is all about a decoration style that brings the original colors of the materials. This makes the characteristics of the raw material more prominent. In addition, this type of flooring is very versatile. In this post you will understand what rustic flooring is and tips from architects to use it in decoration. Check out!
What is rustic flooring?
Architects Alexia Kaori and Juliana Stendard, founders of Urutau Arquitetura , explain what rustic flooring is. According to them, the rustic floor “is a floor with ‘raw’ finishes, which respect the natural characteristics of the material. It resists the weather well and is easy to maintain. They are widely used in outdoor areas, farms and farms because they are easy to clean,” they say.
Types and tips on how to adopt rustic flooring in your decor
The architects gave some tips on this type of floor that has been gaining more and more space. See what the experts have to say:
- Look for a professional: “there are alternatives such as molds and craft techniques, easily found in the market”. However, “for the production of the floor at home (…) it is recommended to hire specialized professionals for its execution”, warn the architects. The materials and quality of execution will make a difference in the long run.
- Burnt cement: This floor is “very common in older houses, in addition to being easy to apply and produce”. It also “can be used outdoors and indoors”. However, Alexia and Juliana warn: “be careful with wet areas that can be very slippery, if the final finish is acrylic resin”.
- Terracotta floor: it is formed by tiles of several different formats. In addition, its raw material is clay, very traditional. “It is often done manually piece by piece”, explain the architects. The material is suitable for outdoor areas because it is porous.
- Concrete slabs: this floor comes in various shapes and sizes. In addition to being able to be molded directly in the work. The “material is porous, that is, non-slip. Well suited for outdoor areas”, point out the founders of Urutau Arquitetura.
- Demolition wood: “it is a floor made of boards from the demolition of old buildings, which were made of noble woods”. They can have different sizes and patterns, “this makes each floor unique”. The architects point out that “wood offers good thermal comfort”. In addition, “it is very suitable for dry indoor areas, where it lasts longer without so much contact with humidity and sun. It can be used in external areas as well, in which case it requires more constant maintenance due to the wear caused by humidity and heat”.
- Natural stone: this type of floor can have various finishes and textures. This “allows them to be used both indoors and outdoors. It is possible to buy tiles of defined sizes or order specific sizes in specialized stores”.
- Hydraulic tile: this tile is very traditional and made with cementitious mass. These pieces are “made one by one by hand. They can be fully customized.” If waterproofed, they can be used for several years indoors and outdoors.
With all these tips, it is easy to decide how your floor will look. However, you still need to think about how it will harmonize with the rest of the decor. For that, how about seeing some ideas of houses that used this type of floor?
30 photos of rustic flooring for a cozy home
The floor is also part of the decoration. Therefore, your style should also match the rest of the house. Especially when talking about a type as specific as rustic flooring. So, check out the 30 best ways to use a floor like this.
1. Rustic flooring has a timeless style
2. It can be made from raw materials
3. Or just refer to this material
4. They are very versatile
5. As the rustic floor for interiors
6. The room becomes more welcoming
7. This style of flooring can be used in other areas of the house.
8. As the rustic flooring outdoor area
9. However, in this case, attention is needed
10. Some materials need waterproofing
11. It makes them last much longer
12. And makes maintenance easier
13. No one can deny the versatility of this style
14. However, there are environments that they look better
15. This can help to compose the environment
16. And the feeling that goes with it
17. Like the rustic floor in the kitchen
18. Will leave the kitchen with a different face
19. There is still another decoration option
20. That leaves the house with a different face
21. And completes the environment
22. This is done with the rustic floor in the room
23. Look how welcoming this environment has become
24. Colors are very important
25. The red rustic floor, for example
26. It’s a classic
27. Another classic is the rustic ceramic floor
28. Which has several possible colors
29. This type of flooring adapts to your reality
30. And your decor will be rustic, timeless and welcoming
Rustic style is all about decorating with raw colors. This helps to give a warm and cozy atmosphere to the house. In addition, this way of decorating is all about a simpler life. So, to complete the style, check out some rustic sideboard ideas .