The sash window is a window model considered a vintage decor item that brings elegance to a modern environment. Versatile, it has a peculiar opening mechanism, with origins in history, and can be applied in different places, bringing light to spaces. Know their types, where to buy and inspirations for your home!
What is the sash window and why the name?
The name sash window may seem strange, but don’t worry, this decoration is safe! The name comes precisely from the object, but not because of its function, but because of the opening mechanism.
In history, the characteristic of the guillotine was the vertical movement for decapitation. The sash window opens and closes in the same way. The model is composed of two leaves, so that when it is open, there is a gap at the bottom. When closing it, one of the parts slides down, like a guillotine.
5 sash window models to get your decor right
The guillotine window is a super versatile type in decoration, as it can be installed in different environments of the house and its models are the ones who will add an extra charm to the decoration. Check out the differences and main features of each:
1. Wooden sash window
The most common model is the wooden one, as it composes both older environments and more modern spaces. Wood brings with it an unparalleled lightness and comfort, so much so that its use in a country house is quite common. In addition, the wooden guillotine window is present in modern environments, with color variations and it is also very common to find it as a window frame.
2. Sash glass window
Glass is a material easily found in sash windows. The main fact is the possibility of allowing more light to enter the premises, bringing natural light into the house, especially in kitchens and bathrooms. Glass always comes with other materials, and allows a very natural division of environments.
3. Aluminum sash window
Aluminum brings greater lightness to environments. Because they are lighter and cheaper, aluminum sash windows are more practical and make spaces more modern, in addition, they are quite resistant and need little maintenance.
4. Iron sash window
The iron model is certainly found in places with a more rustic and vintage decoration, as it is a material commonly found in old buildings. Despite this, there is a charm in its use and it certainly adapts to modern places, demonstrating a more comfortable environment.
5. Sash window with shutter
One of the main features of the sash window is the entry of natural light and ventilation of the environment. Despite being something positive, there are models that have as their differential the use of shutters, so that the entry of light is minimized, as well as the wind. The shutter allows greater control in these matters, in addition to giving a vintage touch to the decor.
Each location requires a different model of sash window, especially when the pieces allow for different decorations. Learn how to give your window a new face from painting:
5 tips on how to paint sash windows creating a unique identity in your environment
Although there are different models of sash window, painting your model can be a great option to renew the decor. The important thing is to think about the purpose of the place, if you want a lighter, more fun or more comfortable environment, and thus choose the right color for the painting. Check out tips on how to do it:
- Separate the leaves: the sash window is made up of two leaves, one fixed and the other that opens and closes. To print, it is necessary to disassemble and paint separately;
- From the inside out: paint your window from the parts that are most in contact with the glass and proceed to the outermost part;
- Protect the glass: If it’s one of the first times you’re painting your window, it’s recommended that you coat the glass so it doesn’t get stained. Try to do this with a cardboard or a newspaper;
- Sand the wood and apply a sealer: it is important that the entire surface of the sash window is smooth before the paint is applied. In addition, certain types of wood require a sealer to be applied so that the paintwork is uniform;
- Type of paint: it is important to look for the ideal paint for painting. If the sash window is made of wood, aluminum or iron, there are specific products for each of the materials to avoid being damaged.
The painting of the sash window can bring a new identity to the place and a new air for the decoration.
65 sash window photos to bring more natural light and beauty to your home
Sash windows are characterized by their different models, but also by sizes, colors and shapes. See images that will show how they can adapt to different spaces:
1. Sash window is a very versatile type
2. It allows for greater wind circulation
3. In addition to generally having glass
4. That allow natural light to enter the environment
5. Ideal for kitchens, for example
6. Also, this type of window is a model used vertically.
7. And that can be great for narrow walls
8. Since it doesn’t take up space when opening and closing
9. Neither into nor out of the environment
10. A crucial space saver for venues
11. In addition to its utility features
12. The sash window can be crucial in decoration
13. It has a timeless design
14. Marked by its adaptability
15. Can be used both in modern projects
16. How much in vintage environments
17. And rustic
18. As a crucial detail in a country house
19. Or in the kitchen
20. Mainly in older environments
21. She will add an extra touch of personality
22. Promoting an appropriate setting
23. While it’s classic
24. It doesn’t lose its elegance
25. The sash window has a wide application in kitchens
26. The main reason? The ilumination!
27. The windows allow an unparalleled entry of light
28. Better than electric lighting
29. Natural light can be very interesting in this environment
30. And it is this type of window that can provide
31. Whether in vertical formats
32. Or horizontally
33. Iron models can also be interesting
34. Regardless of space
35. They give a rustic tone
36. But they are also very resistant
37. And they can last a long time
38. The aluminum sash window is also strong
39. And hold on for a long time
40. In addition, it brings a touch of modernity
41. Can be applied in commercial places
43. And in outdoor areas
44. The white color is the main color of the model
45. Despite this
46. The main model used in the projects
47. Whether in field environments
48. Or the city
49. It’s the wooden sash window
50. Which is also used in commercial places
51. Bringing a Comfort
52. In addition to a unique lightness
53. It is worth mentioning the need for maintenance
54. Since wood can wear out over time
55. It is necessary to apply varnish from time to time
56. The sash window model with shutter is also very common
57. As already mentioned, it can have two important functions
58. Enabling incoming light control
59. In addition to being able to close the space to keep the wind from entering
60. In addition, it is a beautiful model, which gives an identity to the place
61. Whatever the choice
62. The important thing is to think about the composition of space
63. Ponder the advantages of this type of window
64. And knowing that you will have a very bright space
65. And full of charm and elegance
The guillotine window is just one of several existing models, in addition to being very versatile, it brings beauty to the place, regardless of space. Also know the types of bedroom window to get inspired!