The external staircase is an important element for connecting gaps in the garden , backyards, facades and other spaces outside the residence. It is essential that it is made with correct, safe materials that facilitate its use in everyday life. Follow the tips of the architect Nubiane Martinello, from Boulevard Arquitetura and ideas to improve her project:
What is the best coating for outdoor stairs
For the professional, “when it comes to external stairs, which will have direct contact with the weather (sun, rain, wind), some materials are more suitable for the execution of their structure, namely concrete and metal”. But, she also emphasizes that there are other options that can be taken into consideration, and reinforces that “safety and durability are essential items in this case”. Check suitable options indicated by the architect:
- Porcelain tiles: Nubiane reveals that porcelain tiles are the most used coating option due to their cost-effectiveness and wide variety of prints. And he recommends: “to choose the correct part, pay attention to the manufacturer’s indication for the possibility of external use, capacity for people traffic and the surface finish, which must be non-slip (hard) or, at least, natural (which does not receive any enamel coating)”.
- Natural stones: “due to their natural roughness, stones, such as Miracema, São Tomé and Portuguesa, can be specified for external stairs”, indicates the professional. In addition, she points out that this type of material is athermic and does not absorb much heat. However, she emphasizes care for natural coatings: “application of water repellents, laying with specialized labor and care with the use of certain cleaning products to avoid stains”.
- Fulget: “consists of a modern technique that basically is the mixture of cement with small amounts of stones, with the option of also being resined, which makes it even more resistant”, explains the architect. She informs that this type of material “is indicated for application in external environments because it is non-slip and athermal”. According to the professional, it can also be found in numerous colors that vary according to the stone used in its base, however it needs specialized labor for application and care with its maintenance.
- Granite: according to Nubiane, granite for external stairs must be flamed, that is, “have a special treatment with high temperatures so that it becomes non-slip”. And he adds, “the tonality and texture of the granite changes from the original polished after this process, making it lighter and more rustic, but it’s worth it for safety”. For installation on external floors, she advises the use of waterproofing agents to avoid stains and facilitate cleaning.
- Wood: The architect recommends a wood that is weather resistant for outdoor stairs. “Even with good wood, such as Itaúba or Cumaru, the ladder will need attention, with annual maintenance, to always remain beautiful and not degrade over time”, she says.
- Sheet metal: “metal is widely used as a structural material in the manufacture of stairs, but it can also be used as the tread itself, as long as it is a non-slip model”, informs Nubiane. For this purpose, she recommends the hollow sheet and the checkered sheet, “all models are always manufactured with thicker galvanized sheet to provide stability and durability”. The professional says that this type of ladder is widely used in the industrial style and highlights that the metal sheets are very practical and light, and can be painted or used in their original color.
It is always important to have a qualified professional to correctly design an external staircase, ensuring beauty and safety. “The architect has a certain freedom to create and model the stairs within the context of the architecture under development”, emphasizes Nubiane.
60 outdoor stairs photos that will elevate your home
More than connecting different levels, the staircase can be creative, decorative and become the differential in your external environment. See projects:
1. The external staircase can be the protagonist
2. And stand out on the facade of the house
3. A model of natural stones looks beautiful
4. The external ladder can be simple
5. Have large illuminated steps
6. Present a traditional L-shape
7. Or innovate with a lot of creativity
8. A fan design is also impressive
9. The ladder can be fully integrated into the garden
10. Or attract attention with vibrant color abroad
11. Metal models are practical
12. And they bring a super modern air
13. The stairs can be a differentiator on the facade
14. And make it more imposing
15. A helical shape is great for small backyards
16. The combination with glass brings more charm
17. You can take advantage of the space under the stairs
18. A wide model looks elegant
19. And it brings more sophistication to the outside
20. But, you can adapt the width to your space
21. Wood blends in very well with vegetation
22. The fulget brings a modern look to the building
23. Stones enchant with textures
24. In addition, they are natural materials
25. Perfect for those who want a rustic staircase
26. The ladder can harmonize with the plants in the garden
27. And it doesn’t have to be linear
28. The steps can also be of different sizes
29. In this project, the vegetation creates the illusion of floating
30. Guarding a handrail is important
31. It can be of the same material as the ladder
32. Or form an interesting combination
32. Beacons are also very useful
34. And they help guide the paths, especially at night
35. The external staircase can complement with lightness
36. Maintain the standard of external decoration
37. Complement a classic facade
38. Or stand out with colors and shapes
39. Porcelain is widely used as a coating
40. Since it has great versatility
41. The external staircase can be protected by a pergola
42. And look even more beautiful with lighting
43. In addition to being safer at night
44. How about combining with decorative lanterns ?
45. Bring a contemporary look with wide steps
46. Decorate a country house with charm
47. Use materials suitable for an outdoor staircase
48. That they are weather resistant
49. Decorate more naturally with wood
50. Or Incorporate Countryside Air With Bricks
51. Light and neutral coatings are wildcards
52. And make any space more refined
53. Small vases can decorate the stairs
54. But its steps can be an attraction on its own
55. Even at night
56. Whether with a simple and unobtrusive model
57. Or with a big staircase surrounded by plants
58. Any unevenness deserves special attention
59. And you can have a sculptural model on your outside
60. Enhance your home even more with a beautiful staircase
The external ladder must be strong, functional and safe to avoid accidents. With all these tips, your planning is much more practical and the outside of your home is more beautiful. Enjoy and also check out garden decoration ideas .