Refurbishment in any room requires significant financial investments. You can reduce your costs by purchasing the optimal amount of material. To do this, you need to know exactly the dimensions and characteristics of a particular room. This will avoid the situation where a certain amount of wallpaper or laminate remains after the work is finished, which is difficult to use when decorating another room. Not everyone knows how to calculate the area of a room if its shape is different from the correct one. A sector, semicircle or trapezoid can create calculation difficulties for those who graduated from school long ago or have mastered the math course poorly. However, remembering the basic formulas, it will not be difficult to cope with the task.
- 1 How to calculate a square meter: nuances that you should definitely know
- 2 How to calculate area: remember the basic formulas
- 2.1 How to calculate the area of a triangle: using proven formulas
- 2.2 How to find the area of a rectangle: note the nuances and features of the calculation
- 2.3 How to calculate the area of a trapezoid: the formula will help
- 2.4 How to calculate the area of a circle: basic formula
- 3 How to calculate the area of a room: practical tips and recommendations will help
- 4 How to calculate the area of the walls: our recommendations will help you
- 5 Video: how to calculate the area of the walls
How to calculate a square meter: nuances that you should definitely know
Very often, when specifying the square of the packaging of a particular building material, the manufacturer gives square meters. The SI system is adopted in many countries. How to calculate a square meter? You can draw a square with one meter on a side. In this case, the area delimited by this square will be equal to one square meter. Most measuring devices allow you to immediately get measurement results in square meters.
In addition to square footage, you can use other units of measure. With an online calculator, calculating square meters is greatly simplified, however, if desired, the translation can be done independently, by multiplying the existing value by the appropriate coefficient, you can find the desired value. You must first define with a new unit of measure. Yes this:
- Feet We use a coefficient of 0.093. This relationship is typical for square units. After calculating the linear values in feet and obtaining the value in feet, multiply the square by 0.093 to obtain the new squared value in meters squared. If the calculation is successful, the numerical expression of the area should decrease. If higher requirements are imposed on the precision of the calculations, it is better to use 0.092903 instead of the coefficient 0.093;
To convert from square feet to meters, multiply by 0.093
- Yards. The coefficient is 0.84. The conversion of grains to square meters is carried out according to the algorithm described above. For more precise calculations, you can use the correction factor 0.83613;
- Hectares. When calculating the square of a room, these units are rarely used, as one acre equals 4050 square meters. However, if necessary, the translation can be performed using a correction factor of 4050 (4046.9 for a more precise calculation).
One acre is used to determine the square of the land.
Other units are also possible. When translating an area, it is important to remember that we are talking about squares and therefore the linear aspect ratio is not used, but areas. In this case, it is quite easy to find the correction factor. If it is known that the meter and the desired unit of measure are related as a coefficient K, then the correction factor will be numerically equal to K².
NOTE! USING ONLINE CALCULATORS, SQUARE METERS CAN BE EASILY CONVERTED TO ANY OTHER UNIT OF MEASUREMENT IN A FRACTION OF A SECOND, AVOIDING COMPLEX CALCULATIONS.
How to calculate area: remember the basic formulas
Many are interested in how to find out the area of a particular room, knowing its linear dimensions. At first glance, the calculation may seem too slow. Many people prefer to seek help from specialists, believing that in this case it will be possible to avoid mistakes. If you don’t want to pay money for work that you can easily do yourself, you need to remember the basic formulas for calculating area. With their help, it will be possible to calculate the square of any room.
Remembering the basic formulas
Everyone can easily answer how to calculate the area of a rectangular or square surface. Triangular, round, or segment-shaped can cause some difficulties. Once you’ve updated your knowledge, you can immediately start calculating the area of a room in a simple way.
By knowing the order of calculation of the simple ones, it is easy to understand how to calculate the area of a complex surface. Even the most intricate figure can be broken down into many simple ones, and then after calculating each one, find the total value.
We divide a complex figure into simple ones
How to calculate the area of a triangle: using proven formulas
A triangular room is rare. However, if the room has a non-standard layout, it is mentally divided into simple figures, one of which may be a triangle. How do you find the area of a triangle? Simple enough. All calculations can be performed independently or with an online calculator.
To calculate the area of a triangle on your own, it is better to use the following formula:
S = 1/2 × H × To where
A – side;
You can find the square of a triangle in different ways.
The calculation with this formula is quite simple. However, if an error is made in the measurement process, for example due to an incorrect height measurement, the obtained value may differ significantly from the true one. To avoid this, you can use Heron’s more complex formula, which allows you to find the quadrature of a triangle by the lengths of its three sides: A, B, and C.
To calculate, you need to find a semiperimeter p, numerically equal to ½ (A + B + C) … The area of the triangle in this case will be equal to the square root of the product p × (p – A) × (p – B ) × (p – C) .
Heron’s formula will help you find the required area
Online calculators suggest using multiple calculation methods at once to:
- The foundation and the foundation drawn to him;
- Heron’s formula;
- The lengths of the adjacent sides and the angle between them.
How to find the area of a rectangle: note the nuances and features of the calculation
Most of the standard rooms are exactly rectangular. Especially in high-rise buildings. To calculate the area of a rectangle of the correct geometric shape, it is necessary to know the length A and width B of the room. Let’s multiply together:
S = A × B
Knowing how to calculate the area of a rectangle, you can check your result with a calculator. In this case, the desired value can be found in different ways using:
- Base height and length;
- Two sides and an angle between them;
- Two diagonals and an angle between them.
All three methods will give the same value, as long as the measurements have been taken correctly. An online calculator can always be used to verify the resulting value. Most of the time, using an online calculator to calculate the area of a rectangle, the length and width of the sides are entered and then the units of measurement are selected. After clicking the “Calculate” button, you can see the desired value.
Before you can use these formulas and a rectangle, you must verify the accuracy of the rectangle. For such a figure, the opposite sides and the diagonals must be equal, and the adjacent sides must intersect at right angles. If it turns out that the opposite sides are equal and the neighbors intersect at an angle of 85 degrees, then we are not talking about a rectangle, but a parallelogram. The calculation procedure in this case will be slightly different.
ATTENTION! DON’T TRUST THE BUILDERS. MEASURE THE LENGTHS OF ALL SIDES, CORNERS, AND DIAGONALS TO MAKE SURE YOUR CALCULATIONS ARE CORRECT.
If, after measuring the diagonals, different values are obtained, then the room is in the shape of a parallelogram, not a rectangle. To calculate the quadrature, you must also measure the height of the figure drawn on the larger side. For this:
- Mark a point on the largest side. You can use the intersection point of the adjacent sides;
- We lower the perpendicular. You must cross the opposite side;
- We measure the value of the height H;
- We calculate the area of the room by multiplying H by the length of the longest side A.
How to calculate the area of a trapezoid: the formula will help
Before proceeding with the calculations, you need to remember which quadrilateral is called a trapezoid. This is a figure in which two opposite sides are parallel to each other (bases), and the other two (sides) are arbitrarily located. The angles between the base and the sides may or may not be the same.
To calculate the area of a trapezoid, the following parameters are required;
- The length of bases A and B;
- The height of the trapezoid H is the distance between the bases. To find the value, measure the length of the line perpendicular to both bases.
ATTENTION! BY MEASURING THE HEIGHT OF THE QUADRILATERAL AT VARIOUS POINTS, YOU CAN ENSURE THAT THE BASES ARE PARALLEL.
If we are talking about how to calculate the area of a trapezoid, then you need to use the following formula:
S = 1/2 (A + B) × H
The calculation sequence does not depend on the ratio of the lengths of the bases or the value of the height. The formula is applicable for equilateral and regular figures. With an online calculator, you can square the floor by the length of the bases and sides. However, in this case, you also need to make sure that the room is trapezoidal.
How to calculate the area of a circle: basic formula
The round room can become a real decoration of a private house or a public building. It is important to understand how the area of a circle can be calculated. To find the desired value, you need to know the radius r or the diameter d of the circle. This parameter can be found by drawing a line through the center of the circle. Its diameter will be equal to the found value and its radius will be half.
When calculating the area of a circle, it is important to consider what size you will have to use. If we are talking about the radius, then the area of the circle will be equal to:
S = π × r²
When using a diameter:
We calculate the area of the segment and sector
Round rooms are rare. But with rounded corners in a particular room they can be found quite often. To calculate the quadrature of a room, you must use the formulas for the area of a sector of a circle. There are only two of them. Which one is preferable will depend on the input data available.
In the first case, to calculate the desired parameter, you must know the length of the arc l delimiting the sector and the radius of the circle r … The area of the sector in this case will be equal to:
S = 1/2 × l × r
Given the curved line, it can be difficult to find the exact value of the arc. In this case, you must use the value of the angle α formed by the radii that delimit the sector. The area will be equal to:
S = π × r² × α / 360
Knowing the radius of the circle and the angle between the radii of the sector, you can find the area of the segment as follows:
S = r² / 2 × (π × α / 180 ° – sin (α))
ATTENTION! WHEN PERFORMING CALCULATIONS, THE ANGLE VALUE MUST BE SUBSTITUTED IN DEGREES.
If calculating the area of a sector and a segment causes certain difficulties, it is worth using an online calculator.When entering the initial data, you should pay special attention to the angle unit. If you want to enter a value in radians, the degrees must be divided by p.
How to calculate the area of a room: practical tips and recommendations will help
Before proceeding with the calculation, you need to prepare. Necessary:
- Paper. It is better to use a notebook or notebook, in which, as necessary, all measurements and calculations will be entered;
- Square. It is advisable to have a product with a large side length in stock, since in this case the quality of measurement will be higher;
- A rule. It is not necessary to specially buy a measuring device. A long level is perfect for this, with which you can also control the deviation from the vertical and horizontal.
Roulette can be:
- Mechanical. An affordable meter that everyone can handle. For accurate measurements, it is best to measure with two people. The measurement error is standardized. The unit of measurement is the millimeter;
- Electronic. A beam of light is used in the measurement process. Most often a laser beam. By directing the beam to a specific point, you can get the distance between it and your location. The unit of measurement is millimeters or centimeters. Some models allow you to immediately square the room without additional calculations. One person can handle the measurement. Electronic devices make it possible to obtain accurate values of the measured value in a short period of time.
HELPFUL NOTICE! THE SAME PARAMETER MUST BE MEASURED AT LEAST THREE TIMES AT DIFFERENT POINTS. USE THE ARITHMETIC MEAN IN SUBSEQUENT CALCULATIONS.
To calculate the area of the floor, you need to decide in which simple geometric shapes it is composed. If we are talking about a standard room in a panel house, then most likely the floor will be rectangular. These structures are built from standard elements, the shape and size of which are standardized.
In order not to get confused later when translating the calculated area from one unit of measurement to another, it is worth knowing in advance how the square meters of a room are calculated. To do this, all you have to do is immediately convert all measured linear dimensions to meters. For example, if the length of a 500 cm side is 5 m, that is, to convert centimeters to meters, the relevant value must be divided by 100.
The area of a rectangular floor can be obtained by multiplying the length of the room by its width. If the configuration of the room differs from the standard – there are rectangular niches, the calculation procedure will depend on their location:
- Outside the premises. This situation arises if, for example, the wall between the room and the balcony is removed. You can calculate the total area by mentally dividing the room into two rectangles with an area S1 and S. By measuring the sides of each of them, you can calculate the square of the figures. The total area will be equal to:
S = S 1 + S 2
- Inside. Calculating the square of each square is similar to the first option. To find the total value of the larger, subtract the smaller, that is:
S = S 1 – S 2
- Indoors and outdoors. This option is rare. To perform the calculation, the room must be divided into several rectangles. You must add the square of those that add area and subtract those that decrease.
How to calculate the area of the walls: our recommendations will help you
The walls of the room are usually rectangular. Sometimes there is a trapezoid, for example, in the attic of a private house … Many try to effectively manage all the available volume, and the characteristic trapezoidal shape gives the room a special charm. To calculate the complete square of the walls at once, the height of the wall H must be multiplied by the perimeter of the room p.
For those who do not know how to calculate the perimeter of a room, it is worth remembering:
- We measure the lengths of all the walls in the room: A, B, C, D;
- We add the obtained values together: p = A + B + C + D .
Taking this into account, the total area of the walls will be equal to: S = H × p = H × (A + B + C + D) .
ATTENTION! WHEN DETERMINING THE HEIGHT VALUE, DO NOT MEASURE AGAINST THE WALL. IF THERE IS CURVATURE, THE OBTAINED VALUES WILL BE INACCURATE.
When calculating the squaring of the walls, it is important to remember that not the entire area is useful. From the value obtained from the total area, it is worth subtracting the total area of all available openings – walls and doors. For doors, sometimes the same material is used as for walls. In this case, it is not necessary to subtract the square from the input. However, this is very rare.
To determine the square of a door or window opening, measurements must be taken on the outside sides of the box or frame. The calculation is made taking into account the configuration of the window or door. If it has a complex shape, we divide it into simple shapes, for example, a rectangle and a semicircle.
By using a calculator, calculating the area of the walls of a room is greatly simplified. The main thing is to measure correctly and enter the values in the corresponding cells, choosing the desired unit of measurement.