Are you looking for tips to know How to get rid of smelly drains in bathroom , then this article for you
Every bathroom needs to have a drain in it for the sewage to go down and not get into the house. But over time, a drain can start to smell because of all the hair that falls into it or because someone might pour something down that wasn’t supposed to go down there. many reasons that a drain can start to smell.
What causes smelly drains in bathroom ?
What causes smelly drains? well to answer to this question we should know that the drains are meant to remove the water and other stuff from our house. They also keep the house clean by removing any kinds of wastes. But due to the fact that they are not as efficient as they used to be, they tend to get dirty. The waste matter ends up clogging the drain and starts to smell. Sometimes the smelly drains have a weird color that indicate waste matter in it. It is usually green or yellow.
1. Poor Drain Maintenance: Poor maintenance of the drains can lead to a lot of things. One of them is smelly drains. This is because when a person doesn’ t maintenance his drains, then the waste matter gets into it. Some of this waste matter be washed away but some of it will stay in the drain and clog it up. When the drain is clogged, then there is an accumulation of waste matter in it.
2. Using Wrong Drain Clean: Using the wrong drain cleaner can cause smelly drains. This is because some of these cleaners contain harsh chemicals that can damage the pipes and leave a bad smell.
3. Wrong Plumbing Method: Using the wrong plumbing method when dealing with drain can cause smelly drains. This is because some of the methods can be harsh and end up damaging the pipes.
4. Using Drains for Garbage Disposal: This is an important cause of smelly drains. For example, garbage should not be flushed down the drain. This is because the waste can flow through the pipes and end up in the se ptic tank. If you use the drain for waste disposal, it can cause smelly drains.
5. Using Sink and Garbage Disposal Together : If you use the sink and the garbage disposal together, you can cause drain pipe blockage. This is because the waste particles in the sink will end up in the drain.
6. Blocked Drain: You should not use the sink and garbage disposal together because this can cause a blocked drain.
7. Overflowing or Clogged Toilet: One of the most common causes of smelly drains is an overflowing or clogged toilet. The water in the toilet bowl can end up in the septic tank.
8. Plunger is the Solution: If your toilet clogs it means that you have to plunge the toilet to clear it. You can also use a homemade drain cleaner for clearing the clog. If your drain is clogged and you want to clear it as fast as possible, then these are the many plumber tools for you
9.Overflowing Urinals : it is other cause of bad smell coming from the sink. You should clean the urinals regularly. When you are in a hurry, you may flush items like paper towels or tissues down.
6. Plumbing Repair : the smell also comes from the plumbing system. When it is in need of repair, you may find that the odor is coming from your sink. It is advisable that you call a plumber to do plumbing repair.
7.Clogging: clogging is also another cause of bad smell. When you want to clear the clog as soon as possible, then you are advised to use smelly chemicals like draino.
8. Ants and Termites : the most common cause of sink odor is the presence of ants or termites in your home. Ants or termites may also find their way into your pipes. When this happens, you may have the bad smell in your sink.
9..Plastic or Pipes are Bad : here other reason that your sink may smell is because of the pipes. There are times when the drain may be clogged due to the presence of plastic. When pipes are made of plastic, these often tend to deteriorate. First, they may start to leak and later on you will get the bad smell from your sink.
10. Bad Drain Design : Another cause of bad smell from sink may be that your sink is poorly designed. If the drain in your sink is poorly designed, then, there is no way it can keep the bacteria from flowing into your sink. This may be another reason why your sink may have a bad smell
11. Cement Plumbing : Cement plumbing is also another reason why your sink may smell. The cement pipes are often not able to withstand the pressure from water and they tend to crack. When they crack, they also create cracks which allow the bacteria to get in and flow into your sink.
12. Rust and Corrosion : This may be another reason why your sink may have a bad smell. If the pipes in your sink are made of metal, then, they will corrode when they come in contact with water. The metal will also rust and this may cause the pipes to corrode quickly.
• Clogged Bathtub: The bathtub is among the most used things in any home. This means that it tends to get dirty rather quickly . The dirt will end up clogging the drain, and then it will start to smell.
• Clogged Toilet: Like the bathtub , this is also one of the most used things in a bathroom. The dirt and waste matter will end up clogging the drain, which ends up causing it to smell.
• Clogged Sink: The sink is likewise used a lot. This means that it will tend to get dirty rather quickly . The dirt will end up clogging the drain, which ends up causing it to smell.
How to get rid of smelly drains in bathroom ?
Like we said before that there are many reasons that a drain can start to smell in your bathroom. but the problem is how to remove that bad smell to keep your sink healthy. Here, we’ll give you a few ways of doing so.
Method 1 : First, you can put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide or vinegar into the drain. Let it sit for about 15 minutes and then pour in a cup of boiling water. This will help break down any calcification that might be causing the smell.
Method 2 : In this method, you will need to pour a cup of baking soda into the drain and then add about a cup of vinegar. Mix it up until the mixture foams and then leave it for about 15 minutes. Once this time has passed, pour in a hot cup of water and the smell will disappear.
Method 3 : You can use lemon/lemon essential oil to remove the smell from your drain. Cut a lemon in half, sprinkle some salt over it and then throw it into the drain. Let the lemon sit in the drain for about ten minutes and then pour in some boiling water. The smell will be removed in no time.
Method 4 : Using charcoal to get rid of the smell is a very common method. Charcoal removes the smells from your drain and also gets rid of the bacteria. Soak some charcoal in water and put it into your drain. After this, boil some water and pour it into the drain. The smell will be gone in no time.
Method 5 : White vinegar is also very effective in deodorizing your drain. You can pour some white vinegar into your drain and let it sit for a while. After that, pour some boiling water and the smell will be gone.
Method 6 : Using lemon and baking soda is also very effective in removing the bad smell from your drain. Squeeze some lemon juice into boiling water and pour it into the drain. After that, add some baking soda to it. Let it sit for a while and then pour some boiling water into the drain. The odor will be gone in no time.
Method 7 : Pour some salt and baking soda into your drain and mix them well . Add boiling water to it and the smell will disappear.
Method 8 : Pour some dish washing liquid into your bathroom drain and let it sit overnight . In the morning, pour vinegar into it and then some boiling water. The smell will be gone in no time.
How to Stop the Smell from Coming Back
So now after i know What causes smelly drains in bathroom and how get rid of it , the questions is How to Stop the Smell from Coming Back ? how here tips to to Stop the Smell from Coming Back after you get rid of it in your bathroom
1- to make the good smell last long time in drains in bathroom you need to keep it clean from the bacteria and germs that make this smell in it because if you keep it clean you wont have the smell and your drain will be smelling like roses .
2- try clean the drain at least once a month because if you clean it monthly or even once a week the drain will be smelling fresh and will not cause any problem
How Often Should You Clean Your Drain in bathroom ?
How Often Should You Clean Your Drain in bathroom ? well it is good question and the answer is very simple . how often you should clean your bathroom drain pipes depends on How often do you use the bathroom and your Drainage System.
1- Clean your bathroom drain pipes on Weekly Base : if you are using your bathroom frequently and the drainage system is working perfect then it is good idea to clean your bathroom drain pipes on weekly base . Do not forget to clean your bathroom drain pipes on weekly base because the build up of the dirt and grease is really dangerous for the health of your family .
2- Clean your bathroom drain pipes on Monthly Base:to have good smell in your bathroom it is very Important to clean your bathroom drain pipes on monthly base . Because if you are using your bathroom frequently and you do not clean your bathroom drain pipes on monthly base then the un-clean smell of the dirty water will spread all over your bathroom and you will not be able to enjoy the fresh air in your bathroom .
4- Clean your bathroom drain pipes on Yearly Base : the most recommended and the best way to clean your bathroom drain pipes is on yearly base. Because by cleaning your bathroom drain pipes on yearly base you will ensure to remove all the bad smell and dirt in your bathroom drain pipes .
Vinegar vs. Drano, Which One is Better?
Vinegar vs. Drano, Which One is Better to get rid of smelly drains in bathroom ?
The answer is Vinegar ! and why ?
Vinegar is not only smell better, and cheaper than Drano, but it’s good for environment too! Drano is used as a drain cleaner for unclog kitchen sink, bathroom sink, toilets, but it’s very dangerous and harmful to environment. Drano contains Sodium Hydroxide, while Vinegar contains Acetic Acid.
So I’ve done some research on this topic, and what I found is surprising. that why i advice you to use Vinegar instead of Drano.
First of all, what is the difference between vinegar and Drano ?
Vine gar and Drano both are used to unclog the drains, but vinegar is much safer than Drano. Think about Vinegar as if you are pouring liquid soap in your drain, and Drano is like pouring acid in your drain.
To end this article i will advice you if you want to make the good smell last in drains in bathroom you need to keep always follow what i will teach you here Those are the things that you should do always for great smell in your bathroom You can’t run away from the smell of your bathroom, and if it’s not the pleasant one, you may be concerned about your health.
It might interest you :