Granilite is a cementitious coating composed of particles of natural stones. The material is very versatile and can be used to decorate various environments. Follow the article to know the advantages and disadvantages of granilite. Also, take advantage of the architects’ tips!
What is Granite?
Architects Alexia Kaori and Juliana Stendard, founders of Urutau Arquitetura were invited to talk a little more about granilite. They explained that this “material is composed of a cement base and particles of natural stones. Both the cement base and the fragments of natural stones can have different colors”. This characteristic directly implies the way the coating is made. In addition, the average value of granilite varies between R$46 and R$68 per square meter.
How is granite made?
According to the architects, granite is an easy material to apply. “The particles are added to the concrete mass and the mixture is applied to the site. The material is then molded in situ (on site) and can be applied to a variety of surfaces. For example, floors, walls, countertops, etc. After drying, it is possible to finish the surface with polish, in addition to resins and enamels with glossy or matte finishes”, they said.Because of this type of application, the material is “very durable and easy to maintain”. However, for very large areas, the architects recommended “the use of expansion joints, usually metallic, to avoid cracks”.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Granite
Before choosing a type of coating, it is important to know the material to know if it fits your needs. The architects Alexia and Juliana listed the main advantages and disadvantages of granilite. Check out!
- High durability: “due to its components, granilite resists weather and impacts well”.
- Different shades and sizes of granules: “rock fragments can have different shades and sizes, which form different textures”.
- Finishing options for different surfaces: “walls, floors, countertops, etc”. For example, the polished finish is not ideal for wet environments. The natural finish is perfect for a rustic style.
- Interesting texture to enhance the environment: the grainy appearance “combines easily with other elements in architecture or decoration”.
- Timeless: “despite being a current trend, it has been used for many years in Brazil and can be used without being outdated”.
- Specialized labor: “both for execution and maintenance, it is recommended to hire professionals specialized in granilite”.
- High cost in traditional companies: “some specialized professionals may have a higher cost due to years of experience in the field”.
- Susceptible to fissures and cracks: “small cracks in the cement base are common in this type of material”.
- Lengthy lead time: “curing granilitis takes days, so it’s not suitable for short timeframes”.
- Higher cost in small areas: “Some companies do not carry out small projects and start from a minimum price per project. This makes the service more expensive per square meter.”
These points must be considered when deciding whether or not to use granilite in your project. However, before making your choice, how about seeing some ideas of this coating in decoration?
40 photos of granilite that show all the beauty of this material
When decorating using a particular type of coating, you need to think about style and colors. So, check out some projects that demonstrate the versatility of granilite and will inspire your decor.
1. Granite is a very versatile material
2. It is composed by the union of several materials
3. Among them, the cement base
4. And a mixture of natural stones
5. This gives the coating an amazing look
6. What stands out in the decoration
7. With versatility of colors and styles
8. After all, the cement base can be pigmented as you prefer
9. In addition, the finish can be polished
10. There are options for various environments
11. Like the granilite on the wall
12. This gives the space a new look
13. A detail makes all the difference
14. Rest can be used to highlight decor elements
15. Like this gray bathroom
16. Granilite has another positive point
17. What is high strength?
18. Also, maintenance is easy
19. Durability is long
20. And the result is wonderful
21. Beauty and functionality are guaranteed
22. In the kitchen, granite shines
23. And it’s a deal for the stands
24. For it is not porous like some stones
25. Granule size may vary
26. Some are very visible
27. And others are barely noticeable
28. Delicate and elegant
29. Colored beads are a charm
30. The application of this material requires specialized labor
31. The curing of the material can take several days
32. Therefore, think about the project schedule
33. Deadlines need to be a little longer
34. After all, nobody likes delays in construction
35. The wait is so worth it
36. For you will have a decoration for a long time
37. Without getting outdated
38. For granilite is timeless
39. So, enjoy the inspirations
40. And you can bet on this coating
Granilite is increasingly in fashion. Regardless of the colors and styles chosen, it is very versatile and can be used in various parts of the house. Take the opportunity to discover a super modern coating, the stone wall .