Many owners of apartments built in modern and Soviet buildings find themselves with narrow living rooms. Compared to the square, the elongated rectangular shape creates more conventions and nuances that must be taken into account when organizing the interior decoration of a room. However, if you successfully cope with this task, you will get a harmonious area that does not create the illusion of a tunnel.
- 1 Key design features
- 2 Style choice for a narrow living room
- 3 Color schemes
- 4 Narrow living room decor
- 5 Furniture and design options.
- 6 Decoration and lighting
- 7 Narrow living room design – photo
- 8 Ideas for arranging furniture in a narrow living room
- 9 Living room with balcony: how to beat space
- 10 What style is better to choose?
Key design features
Quite often, pencil boxes are found in the Soviet “Khrushchev” and other typical panel structures. These houses have an awkward layout, poor lighting, small rooms. Typical “carriage” spaces are only 2.2 meters wide, and the ceiling rises by only 2.5-2.7 meters. An explosive combination is a problem for homeowners.
However, it is possible and even necessary to overcome these difficulties. Various tricks and tricks are used, from a well-chosen color palette to organic zoning. The most important thing is to rationally use all the available area and visually represent square proportions.
According to its main functional purpose, the living room is a space for gathering the family and receiving guests, and therefore the most spacious part of the house stands out for it. If you need to play this role in a long narrow room, then you need to take care of the correct delimitation of space. In fact, you need to divide it into several small zones for individual needs. But we will talk about this a little later, but first we will find out which stylistic and color solutions are most appropriate in this case.
Style choice for a narrow living room
As a general rule, a living room is an excellent base for any stylistic content. Here you can free your inner artist to freedom and fully enjoy the act of creativity. However, in the event that there is an oversized narrow space at your disposal, you need to compromise and work within the framework of modern styles, advocating for space and freedom in the room.
First of all, pay attention to minimalism. An understated monochrome color scheme does not hide the space and does not burden it. Straight lines create the correct geometry and add expressiveness to the overall look. In addition, principles such as the absence of unnecessary details or the final functionality of the objects actively contribute to the achievement of the task.
You can also try applying the techniques of loft rooms:
1. Get rid of the partitions. For example, combine the living room with the kitchen. Subject to competent zoning, such a move will add real meters to the area of the room and create a free atmosphere.
2. Cut out the blank ceiling. This will visually increase the height of the walls.
3. Use zoning furniture. In large industrial facilities there were simply no walls, and therefore you had to differentiate the space in other ways, including the use of furniture.
4. To complete the interior of the factory, add characteristic details: brick, rough stucco, open pipes, as well as eye-catching decorative elements.
The Scandinavian style suggests an abundance of white, which visually expands the space and partially compensates for the lack of natural light. To achieve this last goal it also contributes to a large number of artificial light sources. To dilute the white, typical accessories in the Scandinavian style will help in the form of bright textiles, rugs and pillows.
It is not the best solution to design a narrow living room in styles such as shabby chic and empire, since they are characterized by excesses in decoration and furniture decoration. In a small room for such an oversupply, there is simply no space left. Although some elements of the style can still be applied, but in very limited quantities.
An effective way to adjust the shape of a narrow living room with color is to cover long walls with a light shade and short ones with a rich, deep shade. A pair of black and white will come in handy here. In addition, this combination can make the design interesting and expressive, and it also fits perfectly in any modern design direction.
Beige tones create a bright, spacious and soft interior. If you decide to combine the living room with the kitchen, then warm midtones in coffee, dairy and creamy variations will contribute to the appetite, but at the same time they will act relaxed and unobtrusive.
The southern and eastern rooms, which are not lacking in natural light, can be decorated in cool blue, gray and snow-white colors. This range creates an incredibly cool and stylish room. At the same time, moderate colors will not be superfluous to dilute a little with warm yellowish and woody tones.
A light background can be left without adding bright colors, but it is quite appropriate to decorate a monochrome with beautiful pinks, reds, greens, or the same blue or blue accents.
Narrow living room decor
As we already managed to discover, minimalism and simplicity are those principles that will help to organize a narrow space harmoniously. The decoration of the premises is no exception. It is important not to overdo it and to do everything in style.
The floor also has an effect on the overall impression of the room. In the living room, it will be advisable to lay parquet, laminate, linoleum with a perpendicular or diagonal pattern to the oblong side, so that the contrast between the length of the walls is not so noticeable. It is possible to lay a laminate with a pattern parallel to a long wall, but in this case, make sure that the floor covering has a light shade.
For the same reasons, refrain from elongated rugs along the largest wall. Stop for a small version of the original or oval asymmetrical look. It can be decorated with a strip located parallel to the small sides.
For the walls, it is reasonable to use neutral shades of paint or plain wallpaper. A short part of the room can be painted in an active dark or bright color using wall coverings or curtains. If you have a large number of windows and a lot of lamps, it is quite appropriate to finish with a bleached variation of a discreet bright color, for example, light blue.
Also promising murals will visually expand the space of a narrow living room. By placing them on a long wall, even out the difference in the size of the sides.
The best finish is white. Paint, matt or glossy stretch ceiling, or very small structures made of drywall in white or beige variations will not load the atmosphere and create the illusion of height.
Furniture and design options.
Finishing an elongated room is the first step in transformation. But in order not to spoil the impression of a proper repair, it is necessary and correctly place the furniture. Long space, by definition, does not stand up to standard design and requires a special approach. Even a small part that is out of place can enhance the tunnel effect, and the proper impression will not be possible.
It is better to place the sofa at an angle. However, this method is only suitable if the size of the room allows you to do this. Therefore, we will create an original broken geometry that takes us away from the shape of the “car”. You can enhance the impression by using round elements: a coffee table, chairs, poufs.
But still, we often find conditions when it is more rational to place the main furniture along the walls. In this case, try to pick up small and large modifications of beautiful original shapes and textures. At the same time, be sure to use small tables, stands for a tape recorder or decorated lamps, flowers, cute floor lamps, unusual chairs located in “wrong” places, somewhat chaotically. Therefore, we can also form a small asymmetry, which does not play by the rules of the shape of the room, but creates its own atmosphere.
In general, limited area conditions require careful selection of furniture. Therefore, a good solution would be custom or DIY manufacturing. Then you get exactly what you want and what your interior requires.
Decoration and lighting
Most of the apartments in the post-Soviet space do not involve high ceilings, and therefore it is important not to overload the space. It is better not to use chandeliers or to dwell on the lighter and “lighter” options. Place small spotlights on the ceiling or floor. Also add additional light sources to the interior, which, by the way, do a good job of zoning. These can be: a variety of floor lamps, including curved lamps, sconces, table lamps, at the same time can play the role of decoration for the living room.
Finish the finished interior with decorations:
– The most successful decoration is fresh flowers. Plants dilute the urban environment and help bring relaxation and comfort to the interior;
– Another successful attribute for small narrow living rooms is mirrors that expand the limits of space;
– Beautiful bright textiles are able to create concise and colorful accents;
– The walls will perfectly decorate paintings and photos within the frame;
– To place small and medium decorative items, as well as books, use open shelves or small cabinets with glass or mirror inserts.
Narrow living room design – photo
You have already learned the basics of organizing a narrow hallway. Now we invite you to get acquainted with interesting examples of the design of such rooms to make sure how easy it is to play with the given parameters of the room and create a harmonious and beautiful interior. I enjoy watching!
Ideas for arranging furniture in a narrow living room
Living rooms in modern apartments have an elongated, rectangular shape, low ceilings. Compared to the square, this design creates more problems in the arrangement, selection and placement of furniture.
Furniture selection and placement options
Initially, in order to visually expand the room, it is necessary to choose the correct finishing materials. But to maintain the resulting effect, it is necessary and correct to place the furniture in a narrow living room. How to do it rationally? Here are some suggestions:
- Furniture with the elongated shape of the room, as a rule, is located along the walls. Therefore, do not buy massive armchairs and sofas with great depth. They take up too much space. As a result, only a narrow passage remains in the center of the room.
- Usually in the living room, the central place is occupied by a sofa area. It is better to mount the TV on the wall, using special brackets for this. But from the pedestals, if the room is small, it is better to refuse it.
- If the living room allows it, the sofa can be placed at an angle. In this case, a “broken” geometry is created, which will help to visually expand the space. To enhance the effect, you can use round furniture – poufs, low tables with a round top.
- In the living room, by the window, you can equip a workplace, a makeshift study. A window sill can be used as a table (for example, by integrating a wooden table into a window opening). A small shelf is suitable for storing the necessary things.
- As for the choice of style, it is better to give preference to minimalism. Simple shapes, discreet colors, the absence of small and unnecessary details, do not “weigh” the interior and do not hide the space.
- Do not line the chairs on a ruler along the walls. In this way, you can only further enhance the impression of a “tunnel”. Better to place them in the “wrong” places, at an angle.
- The use of mirrors in simple frames will help to adjust the space and visually add volume to the room.
If you cannot find the right furniture for the size, it is better to make it to order.
Living room with balcony: how to beat space
Typical modern apartment building layouts include a balcony adjacent to the living room. If you wish, you can combine it with the room. Since redevelopment will require a lot of effort and coordination, it is worth determining in advance the functionality of the new premises.
If the balcony is small, then there is no special meaning in the alteration. But if a spacious loggia adjoins the living room, then there will be many options for using the extra space. Ideas, as in the photo, will help to plan the space correctly.
If you want to add space to the room, you can either remove the partition entirely or use it as a zoning element. For example, create a study or living room on your balcony with a comfortable armchair and a floor lamp.
You can divide the living room into zones with the help of drywall partitions. As a result, you can get another whole room in which you can organize a bunk bed or a small dressing room.
What style is better to choose?
When choosing furniture and interior items, it is better to give preference to minimalism. The abundance of figures, decorative elements is a bad idea, they will only create a feeling of disorder. When organizing a narrow living room, you can use the techniques used by designers for the loft style, as in the photo.
How to organize furniture correctly and what techniques to apply:
- There are no partitions. By combining the living room with the kitchen and competent zoning, you can add additional square meters. As a result, instead of two small rooms, you can get one spacious space.
- Use white to decorate the ceiling. This technique will visually increase the ceiling and add light.
- When zoning the space, use furniture.
- Use rough textures in decoration: imitation of masonry, gray painted stucco. Open pipes or volumetric heating radiators placed on the wall.
Lovers of comfort and minimalism can use the Scandinavian style in the design of the living room. This trend in interior design is distinguished by simplicity, restraint, beauty, and most importantly, functionality. White is used for decoration, which visually expands the space and can even compensate for the lack of natural light. And also black, beige, all shades of gray.
If the room is not located on the sunny side, it is worth paying special attention to the location of the lamps, floor lamps. Candlesticks, especially bulky, with many decorations should not be used. Instead, it is better to install spotlights.
To dilute the white color and get rid of the feeling of sterility, you can use bright textiles. Pillows, rugs, ornate rugs, traditional for Scandinavian style, will do.
You should not choose the design of a small living room in shabby chic or empire style. The first involves a great deal of decor, the second – an abundance of textures, stucco trim, and a red-gold color scheme.
Organizing a narrow living room is troublesome and time consuming. But if you approach the process correctly, you can make the room really cozy. And for this it is worth knowing the secrets of how to organize the furniture so that it is not crowded and cozy.