Are you looking for living room rugs ideas ? then this article for you
Rugs are considered extremely versatile in decoration, especially in living rooms. Regardless of the size of your room, the use of this decorative item is always welcome. Its different sizes, colors, prints and materials make choosing the ideal model as difficult as any other furniture in the house.
There are many functions to be assigned to rugs: they can separate environments, make them more welcoming, hide any defects in the floor, in addition to protecting from scratches caused by furniture or shoes. It is very common that in countries with longer winters its use is constant, since this article, in addition to heating the environment, leaves the living room with much more personality. There are also numerous options aimed at tropical countries, allowing your living room to be stylish even in the middle of summer.
An interesting tip, which can facilitate the choice of a rug model among many on the market, is to leave it to acquire it during the final stages of decoration. The ideal thing is that after choosing the one that best suits your room, only the choice of other decorative objects remains.
In this way, the harmonization of the elements will be much more spontaneous. However, choosing the wrong rug can result in the illusion of a shapeless and unattractive living room, which will depend on factors such as the way it is positioned, its size, color and pattern. Also try to take into account the functionality and need of the rug for the room.
To ensure that your living room reflects your style in the best possible way, check out tips and inspiration that will help you in your search for the perfect rug.
Living room rugs ideas : How to choose living room rug
Choosing the best rug that will enhance your living room may not be an easy task. After defining the general style of the room, the next step is to choose whether the other elements will follow the same color palette and style.
Rugs work with practically all types of floors (with the exception of carpet), so the fact that your floor is woody or burnt cement , for example, will not affect your choice to adhere or not to a rug. In addition, for those who love this accessory and want to dare, it is possible to add more than one rug in the environment, combining different prints. To assist in choosing and integrating the rug with the space, architects Cynthia Sabat and Daiane Antinolfi shared tips to solve all possible doubts on the subject.
The first item to consider is the size of your rug, it is important that it is proportional to the size of the room. “Always think about the need for the rug to cover the conversation area of the room. This means that it needs to be around 20 to 30 cm longer at the edges, so that they are below the sofa and side armchairs. If you have a shelf or TV stand, the rug needs to be flush with the furniture and not below it”, explains Antinolfi.
Sabat argues that in all cases he tries to place the rug in the living room, next to the sofa, and never on the dining table. For her, putting a rug on the dining table always means leaving a space for when we pull out a chair, on a rug. And, even if the rug is shorter, the movement of sitting and turning the chair usually curls the rug and causes discomfort. She also states that the increasingly reduced environments contribute to the rug gaining function only in the living room.
The rug does not necessarily have to be exact measurements. In some cases, letting the rug go past the size of the sofa is no problem. Use basic measurements to make it easier to find your rug at any store, thus avoiding being stuck in stores that only sell rugs of special measurements.
color and style
Will your rug be just an adjunct in the room? Or will it be the standout piece? Based on your answer, the color and style can already be set. If the intention is to assign a complementary function to other decorative elements, look for neutral colors, with textures, such as shag rugs or rugs made of sisal.
If you want all eyes to turn to this ornament, prefer strong colors that contrast with the other colors present. Antinolfi states that “the first point to be analyzed is the style and colors that best suit the environment. You can choose a sober rug with some color interference that you are already using in the decoration or a complementary color for a counterpoint. If you are still working on the design of this environment, the rug can be the main work of art, and everything else will be placed according to the colors used in it”.
Rugs of different shapes, such as round ones, can be a good option for those who like a more modern style. These are characterized by being more difficult to use, in large rooms it is interesting that the furniture is all over it, in smaller areas it is recommended to use several smaller round rugs.
Pay attention to some factors such as, if there are allergies in the house, how the maintenance of this piece should be done and what would be the main functionality of the rug. The answers to these questions will guide the process of choosing the ideal rug. “I usually like to use light colors or with some kind of detail. When I opt for a light porcelain floor, I use a slightly darker rug. On wooden floors, for example, I usually use lighter rugs. The sisal rug is my favorite as it is neutral and looks good with both light and dark colored floors. From my point of view, smoother rugs tend to appear more in a decoration, compared to more fluffy rugs, in addition to being clean and hygienic”, says architect Cynthia Sabat.
Antinolfi talks about 3 different styles possible for you to adhere to in your living room. The first is the classic style, which encompasses the darlings of Persian rugs, characterized by being formal and elegant. This style with washes is on the rise and refers to a visual impression of antiquity. The modern style, on the other hand, contemplates the most colorful rugs in geometric shape, reliefs or in a single color. On the other hand, natural or handmade rugs are found in more neutral colors, and made with the most varied types of threads and wefts.
Today the market offers a huge variety of yarn types, and this is a point that should also be noted. Also according to Daiane Antinolfi, the most common rugs can be made of wool, acrylic, polyester, leather or synthetic fiber. Wool is more durable and soft, usually of good quality and easy to maintain. “It has a wide variety of colors because the wool accepts the dye well, widely used in upholstery. However, the value is one of the highest compared to other yarns”, he explains.
An option for wool is acrylic, which imitates its texture very well. Despite not being so durable, they resist stains and marks well. If the intention is not to invest too much, this is a great option. “Polyester, also called ‘silk thread’, ‘hairy and shiny’, is used a lot in TV rooms”.
For environments that ask for natural elements, use leather, which can be found in a wide variety of colors and formats. This type of rug also refers to the Scandinavian style, and is the architect’s favorite. And, finally, the synthetic fiber “Ideal for residents with allergies, many have anti-mite treatment and are very resistant”, adds Antinolfi.
70 Rugs for living room to get decorating ideas
In general, it is the environment that defines the shape of the rug. As most rooms are rectangular, it is very common for rugs to follow this shape as well. But asymmetrical models are gaining more and more attention and space in contemporary decor.
If you want to innovate but are afraid to choose a rug that could spoil your decor, check out the selection below and get inspired.
1. Sober colors take over this living room
2. The use of light points enhances the prevailing dark tones
3. Notice how the patterned rug is characterized as the focal point of the environment
4. The color palette present in the rug complements the other decorative elements
5. Black and yellow combine very well and bring a more modern look
6. The advantage of sisal rugs is that wear and tear is less apparent
7. The rug next to the wall detail gives the room uniqueness
8. Neutral tones are sure to choose when decorating
9. The rug gives the room an even more contemporary look
10. It is possible to combine different prints in the same space
11. The rug helps to break the seriousness of the elements in the room
12. The combination can be made using the color of the rug in different decorative items
13. The presence of colors and shapes characterizes a modern space
14. The breadth of this environment is given by the use of the same color palette
15. Longitudinal lines create the illusion of space
16. Black can be a widely used color without making your room feel heavy
17. Minimalism in the details is justified by the boldness of the rug
18. The rug can give an air of luxury and refinement to the room
19. The delimitation of space can be done by the use of rugs
20. The pattern of the rug follows the shape of the table
21. Once again we can notice the repetition of the use of colors in the different elements
22. Create a space that reflects your personality
23. A cleaner style brings luminosity to the space
24. The non-combination of the elements breaks the traditional and reveals an irreverent harmonization
25. The pied de poule print left clothing items to enter the world of decorative items
26. Have fun choosing the rug for your living room
27. The use of textures in this case is visually appealing and refined
28. Basic rugs can also be a good way to decorate your living room without loading different patterns
29. The woody floor next to the rug creates a feeling of warmth and welcome
30. There are many possibilities for using rugs
31. The textured beige rug awakens sensations and enhances the space
32. Stripes are timeless and commonly found in decorations
33. The stripes on this rug bring a more diverse and cheerful color palette to the room
34. The leaf shapes in the rug pattern create a more relaxed decor
35. Despite being a color that allows you to easily see dirt, beige is ideal for people with more minimalist tastes
36. Avoid too thick stripes for small rooms
37. The arrangement of the lines gives the illusion of spaciousness to the room
38. We can find the living room palette in the colors present in the rug
39. The use of different textures helps to delimit environments
40. The stripes decorate well with the most different colors and textures
41. The contemporary print complements the look of the environment
42. The zig zag helps to separate the two environments of the room
43. How about a rounded rug to innovate in the decoration?
44. Large rugs are ideal, the bigger the better
45. Earthy tones go well with woody floors
46. The beige color is versatile and great for composing sophisticated environments
47. If you want to get away from the obvious, the striped rug might be a good choice
48. Color contrast enhances the different elements
49. Despite the use of a patterned rug, the focal point of the room remains the patchwork wall
50. Black together with metallic refers to sophistication
51. The Belgian rug always surprises with incredible designs
52. The relaxation of this environment was due to the different colors used
53. In this case, the room with neutral colors received a charming Belgian rug
54. The red sofa harmonizes very well with the colorful rug
55. Test, see what best suits your space
56. The geometric print attracts attention and becomes the center of attention in this room
57. Dark tones look great in bright rooms
58. The white sofa can be a key piece for your living room, especially when paired with a plush rug
59. If you don’t know how to highlight your living room, abuse the pattern on your rug, the result will be amazing
60. The rug reflects the tones used in the living room
61. The exposed brick wall is on point and they match very well with the most different colors
62. The prints of the pillows, although different, were very well decorated with the striped rug
63. A neutral room deserves a different rug full of personality
64. The rusticity of the room was due to the decorative elements
65. Overlaying rugs with different patterns is an interesting and different idea
66. The rug imitates wood tones and matches the other white elements very well
67. For a cleaner effect, use a light rug with few details
68. Don’t be afraid to abuse patterns on your rug
69. Invest in every detail of your living room, especially if it’s small
70. Stripes are always present in the decoration
In case there are elderly people and children at home, it is possible to take safety measures in order to avoid accidents. The tip is to stick adhesive tapes on the edges of your rug, thus avoiding tripping. If you have pets, you know how hard it is to maintain furniture, sofas and rugs, especially light colored ones. Therefore, choose a rug that does not fray easily, such as those made of synthetic material. And, choose a carpet color that matches the color of your pet’s coat, so when your animal is in the shedding phase, it won’t be so evident.
After all the tips and inspiration, it’s time for you to put your knowledge into practice and start choosing your rug. Remember to create criteria for the choice, so you won’t get lost in the numerous models available.
It may interest you check other Living Room ideas :