Pine wood is a resistant and economical material that can be used in the manufacture of various items. In addition, it is a reforestation wood, which makes it a sustainable option. To know a little more about it, check out its benefits, care and interesting tips!
What is pine wood and its benefits
Pine wood is extracted from the pine tree and is widely used in the manufacture of furniture and houses. It is a reforestation wood, which has high durability, resistance and a good cost-benefit.
In addition, it can be painted, glued and coated without altering its characteristics. The average price of a three-meter board already equipped is approximately R$45.00, being an economical material.
Difference between pine wood and MDF and which is the best option
Pinus wood differs from MDF, as it is solid and taken from a specific tree. MDF is made from wood fibers and synthetic resin. In this way, pine is more resistant and durable. That is, it is a good choice for furniture making or to use in other pieces.
Advantages and disadvantages of using pine wood
This material has pros and cons like all material. It is important to pay attention to some details before purchasing parts made with it. Discover its advantages and disadvantages:
- It is resistant, lasting about 50 years;
- As it is made from reforestation, it is a sustainable material;
- It can be used in many places and in the manufacture of many things;
- It has a low price and offers good quality.
- If left untreated, you can suffer from fungal attacks;
- It is more sensitive to termites, because it has a light color;
- It can warp easily, as it has low dimensional stability.
With this information you will be able to decide if pine is the ideal wood for your project. And, if you chose pine, see tips for taking care of this wood.
Tips and care for your materials
There are some precautions that must be followed to prevent future problems with pine wood. So, here are some tips that will help you a lot:
- Hygienisation: cleaning the wood should be done using water with neutral soap and a soft cloth. Never use chemicals;
- Protection: to protect the wood from termites, the use of burnt oil is recommended. Passing three layers, the effectiveness will be greater;
- Waterproofing: if the wood is in areas that are external and have contact with moisture, it is important to use varnish. This product prevents the wood from rotting;
- Contact with the sun: it is recommended that, if possible, the pine does not constantly receive direct sunlight. Excessive heat can cause wood to crack;
- Fungicide: pine is a very sensitive wood and prone to fungal attacks. Therefore, it is important to apply the fungicide to avoid future problems.
By following the tips and taking care of it correctly, you will certainly have wooden items that will last a long time. Did you enjoy learning about this material? Also get to know plastic wood and be surprised by this material.