Although when choosing towels we go to the old trick of stroking them, there are other tips that would be well worth considering before buying.
When we go to choose the towels for our house we usually get carried away by the design. However, although this is important, there are other aspects that guarantee a good purchase. For example, the first thing you have to do is caress them , yes, it is an old trick that will allow you to discard those with which you do not feel comfortable at first.
Then, it is worth exploring the tips that we will leave you below, so there will be no room for regrets at home, since this type of garment is not easy to change. We started!
Tips for choosing towels
You have already identified by touch which towels you could choose to take home. Now check out these other aspects:
This is one of the most important aspects when choosing towels, its softness and quality depend on it . Check the label to verify the components. The best towels are 100% cotton. Still, there are other options you can consider.
- Cottons: there are several types of cottons. Among the most desired is Egyptian cotton, which has a higher quality and absorption capacity. For its part, Turkish cotton is also very good and stands out for the softness it provides.
- Linen: this is a natural fiber, breathable and quite resistant. Although it is not as soft as cotton, it has good absorbency, is delicate and dries fast. Of course, make sure your towel is 100% linen.
- Curls: there are three types of curl, the conventional one is one of the cheapest; the American has twisted strands and provides greater volume, and the low-twisted or non-twisted one that is softer.
The grammage has to do with the absorption capacity of the towel , but it is completely related to the material . Check the label or ask at the store if you have doubts and keep in mind that it must be at least 450 or 500 grams square meter.
Hydrophilicity refers to the moisture absorption capacity of towels; When choosing yours, make sure it has a level of 4 to 5. This factor also determines the ability they have to transport moisture through the fibers in order to accelerate their drying.
Studies on the behavior of different textiles indicate that to test the hydrophilicity of a fabric, a drop of water can be placed on the surface, if it spreads quickly, it indicates that the material is hydrophilic .
Keep in mind that fabric softener is not a good friend to towels with a high level of hydrophilicity. Being a type of paraffin, it waterproofs the plush. So here’s another tip: use very little fabric softener on your towels.
The towels can be purchased individually and in sets that come in different sizes. On the product label you will find the specific measurements of each towel. However, we remind you of them below:
- Bath towels : 100 centimeters x 150 or 160 centimeters.
- Shower: 70 centimeters x 140 centimeters.
- Of washbasin or of hands and face: 50 centimeters x 100 centimeters.
- Toilet towels: 30 centimeters x 50 centimeters.
How to take care of the towels?
The towels have specifications that make them very delicate, depending on their quality. Therefore, it is well worth learning how to take care of them so that they last longer. We leave you some tips that will help you with the care during the wash:
- Wash them separately: do not wash them with the rest of the clothes to avoid wool from other fabrics sticking together.
- Separate them by color: as you do with household clothes, separate them by color to avoid staining.
- Put a little softener on them: You don’t need to put so much soap on them, as their use is minimal every day. Dissolve a little in the water and that’s it.
- Avoid fabric softener: fabric softener alters the qualities of towels and they don’t really need it.
- Take care of the temperature: check the label of your towels for the right temperature for each one.
Follow these tips to choose towels and you will be right
That is how easy it is to choose good towels for the home, the tips include stroking to feel the texture of the towel, reviewing its material and composition, identifying the weight, absorbent and drying qualities, and verifying that they come in the measurements we need.
Remember that for each member of the family it is recommended to have two sets of towels to change once a week.