The colors of the rooms can change not only the look of the room, but also how you feel when you are inside it.
When it comes to a space as private as the bedroom , it is important to think about what kind of mood you want to create:
- Do you need a relaxing place to rest at the end of the day?
- Or do you prefer a room that energizes you when you’re struggling to get out of bed in the morning?
It does not matter what kind of environment you want to create, because there is a color scheme for any occasion: even to sleep better.
- 1 How do colors affect our behavior?
- 2 Colors for bedrooms: color ideas for decorating rooms
- 3 SOME OTHER COLORS
- 4 Paint an interior room step by step. EASY guide and painters prices
- 5 How to paint my room? Steps to paint the wall of a room [Tips, tricks and recommendations]
- 6 How much does it cost to paint a large room measuring 12 to 20 square meters?
- 7 How much does it cost to paint a room white?
- 8 How much does a painter charge per m2. Interior paint budget per square meter
- 9 How much does it cost to paint a small living room
- 10 How much does it cost to paint a 20 or 30 square meter room
- 11 Price and budget to paint a room in NY
- 12 Price of painting a room other place
- 13 What do I need to paint walls and ceilings of rooms
- 14 How to paint my room? How to paint marriage, modern, small or youth rooms
- 14.1 1. Choosing colors for rooms
- 14.2 2. How to paint a room according to the areas of the house (shades)
- 14.3 3. We choose the type of gloss of the paint
- 14.4 4. Which paint gloss is the best in each area of the house
- 14.5 5. How much paint does it take to paint a room
- 14.6 6. How many coats of paint do I have to give to the wall of my room
- 14.7 7. Take out small furniture and protect large ones
- 14.8 8. How to cover cracks in the wall of the room and prepare the surface
- 14.9 9. Painter’s, body builder’s or masking tape
- 14.10 10. Sealant primer for walls (before painting your room)
- 14.11 12. Protect the floor or walls that we do not want to stain
- 14.12 13. What roller and brushes to use to paint room walls and ceilings?
- 14.13 14. We are going to prepare the painting
- 14.14 15 We started by painting the ceiling of the room
- 14.15 16. How to use the brush
- 14.16 17. How to use the roller
- 14.17 18. How to paint the wall of a room with a roller
- 14.18 19. Process of painting a wall with a roller
- 15 Final advice
How do colors affect our behavior?
The psychology of color teaches us the colors that surround us have different impacts on our behavior and mood.
- Cold colors: Some colors give us a sense of serenity and calm, which are generally within the spectrum of blues, which also includes purple and green, known as cold colors.
- Warm colors : Others induce passion, even anger and make us feel more uncomfortable; These are within the spectrum of red, which includes orange, yellow and terracotta, known as warm colors.
While there are rules of thumb that apply to most of us, it’s important to note that the effect of a color is ultimately an individual preference.
Studies have shown that gender, age, culture and personal experience influence the way color is perceived
That said, the bedroom is also a very personal room, so if the crazy, bright colors make you feel good, you can use them however you see fit.
Only you can decide which color is the best to paint the walls of your bedroom .
Colors for bedrooms: color ideas for decorating rooms
Neutral colors to paint the walls of the room
The neutral colors are always a safe choice to paint the walls of a room. White, dark gray and light gray, or soft earth colors such as beige and ivory, can be the perfect canvas for bedroom decoration .
The good thing about neutral tones is that they work with all other colors; you can illuminate and brighten the room as you please; playing with furniture, with decorative accents and with bedding in different designs and colors.
Some people think neutrals are boring, but remember that with artwork, colorful rugs, fun bedding, and various accessories to decorate, a room can be completely transformed.
When painting with neutral colors, be very aware of the underlying tones of the color. For example, white is rarely just pure white. It comes in shades of pink, blue, yellow, brown, and many other shades.
Decide if you want the color to tend to warm or cool, and then choose the appropriate shades.
For example, the color green, which at first one might think is a cold color, can be as warm as you want it to be. The wall in this bedroom has been painted a fiery shade of olive green, which contrasts beautifully with the rattan headboard and black accents.
Pastel colors for bedroom decoration
The pastel or cream colors are wonderful for the rooms, and especially for the bedroom Nordic style . They are soft, relaxing, serene, and can contribute to a good night’s sleep. Think soft blues, lavenders, greens, yellows, and the color salmon
To avoid making them look too childish, try accenting them with brighter accessories and / or dark wood furniture.
Cold colors to paint the walls of your bedroom
For a relaxing atmosphere in your bedroom, look for cooler shades: shades of gray, blue and green. These colors have been shown to reduce stress and anxiety.
The green is known to be relaxing for the eyes and often symbolizes renewal just what you want to convey in a bedroom.
The decor in green and blue soft creates environments sedate and quiet, especially when combined with white sheets and plenty of natural light. Mixing antiques and warm woods can keep the space from looking too cold.
These colors can also make a space appear larger, making them a great option if your room is small.
The white color in the bedrooms
The undisputed protagonist of Mediterranean decoration , the color white not only provides light and visual amplitude, but also transmits serenity and freshness.
To break with the white and add an extra warmth, you can play with different decorative elements such as wicker baskets, rattan furniture and rugs. For example, in this house, they have used the terracotta color of the sheets and pillows to give the bedroom some color notes.
White bedrooms are also indisputable protagonists in Nordic decoration . And it is logical, it is the best way to reflect the little natural light that they have in the Scandinavian countries.
And it is also a very common color on the walls of minimalist interiors . In the minimalist decoration , as in the Scandinavian style, so that the rooms do not tend to be cold and bland with so much white, different textures are usually used to compensate, such as wood, wicker and warm textiles.
The black color in the decoration of rooms
You might think sleeping in a black room is crazy, but science suggests the opposite. The more light you can remove from your bedroom, the better you will rest. And also, the black rooms are very elegant and have a lot of personality and style.
I think these guidelines are a good starting point when looking for colors to paint a room .
Which one do you prefer? what not enough ?
here some other
SOME OTHER COLORS
A medium blue shade . Blue is the most relaxing color that we can use to paint a bedroom. We could look at the color wheel for its tones and shades, choose any of them with our eyes closed to paint the bedroom and we would still paint the room with a relaxing color.
Although the extensive range of blues is relaxing, I have selected five shades of blue. You see the first one above these lines.
Let’s move on to the next one
Light tone blue. Almost more relaxing than the previous one, and if it is combined with white, it is also bright.
Grayish blue tone. In addition to being relaxing, this color has a more serene and elegant hue, thanks to the gray. It is not as vivid as the other blues, which is why I have selected it.
Electric blue tone. More powerful and energetic, but very relaxing, electric blue is one of the most popular colors. If the same thing happens to you and you are looking for a relaxing bedroom, you can use it without problems.
Dark blue tone. If you are looking for a blue with more presence, this is yours.
As I said before, it does not matter which shade of blue we choose to achieve a relaxing environment. Almost all of them are worth it.
Let’s move on to the next color, or range of colors
Medium green tone. The second most relaxing color, almost side by side with blue, is green.
Practically the same as blue, green in almost all its tones and shades is a relaxing, cold color; perfect to achieve a relaxing atmosphere in a bedroom or anywhere we put it.
Especially these 5 shades of green that I have selected. Starting with the first, which is above these paragraphs.
Light olive green tone.
Grayish green tone.
Bluish green tone.
Greyish green As with blue, green in its grayish tones is even more elegant and serene. Quite a success.
Elegant, serene and with a lot of life, green is another color that makes it very easy for us to achieve a relaxing bedroom as we have seen.
Now let’s move on to the next color.
The turquoise color is a mixture or combination of the colors green and blue; so without a doubt it is another relaxing color to paint a bedroom.
It is true that being a semi-saturated color, it gives off a lot of energy and overpainting can be burdensome, but well added, it creates spaces, without a doubt, very relaxing.
Above these lines we see an example.
Let’s keep going.
LILAC, MAUVE OR LAVENDER COLOR
The purple color is made from the mixture of red plus blue.
And as I said before, blue is a relaxing color (cold part of the circle), while red is a non-relaxing warm color (hot part of the circle); Thus, the most relaxing purple tones are those in which in the mixture of blue and red, there is more blue pigmentation, resulting in mauve, lilac or lavender tones, very relaxing colors.
Especially if they are combined with white, as we see above these lines. Although it is not mandatory, as we see below.
The color has been combined with golden tones, which are not particularly relaxing, and yet the bedroom has a very relaxing atmosphere.
In this case, in addition to the relaxing lavender color, it has been combined with white and blue. And, to give warmth to the bedroom, tones of natural linens, wood and vegetable fibers have been added, resulting in a relaxing but also cozy bedroom.
Let’s move on to the next color.
The gray color is an anti-color or the neutral color par excellence. It does not express much, leaving neutral finishes.
To take advantage of this color and make it a relaxing color, we need to support it or combine it with the right colors; especially white.
If it is combined with white, we can add practically any shade of gray, which will create not only a relaxing bedroom, but also a sophisticated and very modern one.
Like the one we see above this paragraph, or those that we can see below.
Medium tone gray
Medium tone gray is a very elegant color that fits and combines very well with all materials and other colors. And it has more presence than light gray. A medium / raised gray tone that does not clutter up the space and is extremely elegant.
High tone gray
It is true that the more we raise the tone, the darker and better combined the gray has to go.
If you don’t want to risk it, a pastel gray tone, like the first bedroom we saw, is a safe color.
Let’s see more colors.
PALE PINK COLOR
The pale pink color, although it is a very soft color and has little saturation, is not a relaxing color in itself. But it creates an atmosphere so enveloping, soft and pleasant, that I had to put it on this list of the most relaxing colors for a bedroom.
The colors that we have just seen are relaxing because, as I said before, they are in the cold part of the color wheel (except pink), not because I said so.
The chromatic circle is a magnificent guide to interpret the colors for any project that we need.
Obviously there are many other colors that create serene and calm environments, such as sand tones, beige and brown; but they are not in the cold part of the circle, but in the hot part, which tells us about them, that they are obviously warm colors.
This does not mean that they cannot be painted with them and achieve a relaxing atmosphere, but they are not the most effective.
The most relaxing colors for a bedroom are the ones we have just seen; or, at least, a good part of them.
Do you have any doubt or suggestion? Would you add any other color?
Paint an interior room step by step. EASY guide and painters prices
How to paint a room step by step? How to paint a room? Steps to follow to paint interior walls. Quick tips and ideas for beginners. You can even ask for a quote if you decide to save time and hire a professional painter.
Today you will see tips and tricks easy to paint rooms of houses effectively, quickly and cleanly. And you will be able to know the exact price of what it costs to paint a room.
Do you want to paint the walls of your home quickly and easily? follow the order defined here. Once you are in the business, it will be difficult for you to make a “stop” to go find more paint or tools that you forgot.
How to paint my room? Steps to paint the wall of a room [Tips, tricks and recommendations]
How to paint my room? There are 11 correct steps with tips and tricks to paint a bedroom wall :
- Choose the color of walls and ceiling
- Choose the type of paint and its gloss (matte or glossy)
- Choose brushes, brushes, rollers and material for small repairs
- Determine the amount of paint you will need
- Remove the small furniture from the room, and cover the large
- Important! Smoothing bumps or crevices in walls before painting a room
- Stick masking tape around the perimeter of the surfaces
- Protect the floor with cardboard or plastic sheets
- Apply a sealer primer if the wall is porous
- Start painting your room through the ceiling
- Finish by painting the walls of the room
The steps listed are for painting the walls of a room , but they are for painting a house, a facade, or any other surface of a building.
If the walls are exterior → Repair the cracks and humidity of the support wall beforehand, because they will affect the aesthetic finish of the painting.
How much does it cost to paint a large room measuring 12 to 20 square meters?
Painters charge between 100 and 300 dollar to paint the interior of a large room of 12, 15 or 20 square meters. It is the average cost. Prices are increased or decreased based on the size and shape of the room, and whether ceilings and trim are included. It also depends on whether you need to clean up the wall and remove an old coating, such as plaster or wallpaper, and the type of paint chosen.
How much does it cost to paint a room white?
The price of painting the interior of a room white usually costs between 100 $ and 250 $ . The exact cost depends on the previous work, on the preparation of the support, if it is necessary to apply a base coat, the brand of paint chosen, if the room is free of furniture, if the walls are large smooth surfaces or if they have many gaps or nooks and crannies.
How much does a painter charge per m2. Interior paint budget per square meter
The budget for the interior painting works varies between 6 $ and 20 $ per square meter (m²) . The surface (wall, ceiling) and the type of paint will influence the cost of the job. In general, the exact cost of painting a large room per square meter depends on:
- The price of paint jobs per square meter varies depending on the type of paint used ; smooth paint, gloss paint, anti-humidity paint. Some paints are more expensive than others.
- The type and nature of the support also influences the cost of painting the room: the price varies depending on whether it is to paint walls or ceilings. Ceilings are more difficult to paint, so prices will be higher than walls. It also depends on whether the walls are plaster or if you have to paint tiles.
- The condition of the support wall : the price will depend on whether an old coating has to be removed, or if it is necessary to clean up the wall surface, remove wallpaper, clean mold and repair cracks and fissures.
- If the room is already empty or if furniture needs to be removed . If it is necessary to remove furniture from the room, or protect it to avoid paint splatters, the work slows down, and the cost is usually higher than painting a room that is already empty.
How much does it cost to paint a small living room
Painting a small room costs between $ 200 and € 300. The price is lower with smooth paint and increases if a decorative paint is chosen. It also depends on whether you have to remove drip and traces of old paint, remove moisture, cover cracks in the walls, and if you want to paint the ceiling as well. Another factor that influences the budget is the furniture to be moved, the possible decorative brackets or baseboards and the dimensions of the walls to be painted.
How much does it cost to paint a 20 or 30 square meter room
The living room is the main room of the house. Painting a 20 or 30 square meter room can cost from $ 250 to $ 350 . The living room is the room in the house where visitors are received and where the decoration is most cared for. It is necessary to sand the old paint and clean the deteriorated wall. The type of paint will also affect the higher or lower cost.
If you don’t know which paint to choose, plastic paint is ideal for living rooms as it is easy to clean with a damp cloth. It is also necessary to protect door and window joinery, and baseboards , and set aside the furniture so that it does not stain paint. All these conditions increase or reduce the price of painting.
Price and budget to paint a room in NY
NY, is one of the most expensive cities in Usa. And the prices of home renovations are usually high, and usually there are no professionals who provide a good painting service. Painting a medium-sized room in NY usually costs around $ 200 or $ 400 depending on the shape and size of the room (a regular room is faster to paint than one with many corners and nooks), the condition of the supporting wall, whether to cover holes and remove the drip and the type of finish paint chosen (plastic, anti-humidity paint, acrylic, stucco)
Price of painting a room other place
The price of painting the walls of a complete room in other place of 10 or 20 square meters usually costs between $ 200 and $ 300, depending on whether the painting work requires applying the paint to the walls and ceiling, whether it is It is necessary to cover or remove furniture and shelves, the shape of the room, whether it is necessary to remove wallpaper or scrape the drip, whether it is necessary to smooth and cover gaps or cracks in the wall, whether there are decorative elements that require work of delicate paint such as baseboards or corbels, and the level of gloss and quality of the chosen paint.
What do I need to paint walls and ceilings of rooms
What materials and tools do I need to paint a room?
What does it take to paint a room? The tools you need to paint room walls and ceilings are usually brushes, paint cans and supplies for small household repairs . Here is the list of everything you need:
- Silicone and silicone gun to fill openings and small holes.
- A spatula, a can opener and garbage bags.
- A paint scraper to scrape off drops that have chipped and dried.
- A screwdriver, cleaning brush and sponges.
- Sandpaper to smooth rough areas or leave them shiny.
- Cleaning cloths, protective blankets.
- Masking tape, for taping and protecting edges and corners.
- High quality nylon and polyester brushes for water-based finishes.
- Medium rollers for smooth surfaces.
- Larger rollers for rough surfaces.
- Roller bucket with wringer.
- Large and small brushes (for corners) and paint cans for rooms
- A ladder to paint around the ceiling area.
- Possibly a dust mask.
Everything specified is the only thing you need to paint rooms. Make sure that the rollers are of good quality and free of lint to prevent them from releasing fibers that later become embedded in the wall.
For glossy finishes, smooth rollers with short nap are good. They leave a thin and perfectly smooth finish coat.
Make sure you are not missing anything, because it is not easy to rush to buy paint once you have gotten into work, completely stained with fresh paint.
How to paint my room? How to paint marriage, modern, small or youth rooms
With these step-by-step instructions you will carry out a fast and well-organized job, with a spectacular result. We take the painting tools and we follow the listed points step by step.
1. Choosing colors for rooms
Let’s start by choosing the colors to paint a room.
What color to paint my room?
The key to choosing bedroom colors is to think about the sensations that place conveys.
Colors have been shown to influence personality.
They can give you peace and they can get on your nerves. (The sample is in that jail where they decided to paint the walls pink, to reassure the inmates, with success).
What sensations do colors convey to paint rooms ?:
- Red: brings warmth, it is a stimulating and passionate color.
- Orange: ideal for hallways . Provides warmth and energy.
- Yellow: it is a striking, optimistic, cheerful and bright tone. Its best destination is the walls of the dining room.
- Green: it is a refreshing, calm and youthful color. A room painted in green conveys relaxation and well-being.
- Blue: symbolizes tranquility, concentration and calm. Its ideal destination is the bathrooms, but it also looks good in offices.
- Violet: it is a color with a certain spiritual touch. The bedrooms in purple are very elegant. This tone also favors concentration.
- Pink: it is a sweet, emotional and reassuring tone. Your destination can be rooms and small living rooms.
- White: transmits freshness and purity. It looks good in combination with other shades.
- Black: it is a powerful, elegant and mysterious color. It should be used to highlight other colors, rather than to paint a black wall, because it would be a very dark room.
These are ultimately the colors to paint a room according to the mood they generate. But remember that it is not something “to go to mass.”
2. How to paint a room according to the areas of the house (shades)
– In the intimate areas of the home
Where you are with the family, pastel tones (soft colors that invite you to relax) look good, because they create an intimate atmosphere that transmits peace and rest.
These are often the most popular bedroom paint colors .
– In kitchen areas and other service areas
Bright colors that give energy and lift your spirits go well here. And they give a touch of joy to spaces that are boring in themselves (such as the clothesline or the laundry room)
– Colors to paint a living room
The ideal are neutral colors on the walls or warm colors such as earth tones.
– And if you want to create a bright and spacious environment …
Then you should go towards the ranges of greens, yellows, creams and whites
If you apply these tips on house paint colors, you will get a comfortable and durable decoration that you will not get bored with after 3 years.
If you are not sure of the final color, paint a small sample on the wall and you will get an idea of how it will look with the bedroom lighting.
You should also keep in mind that paint tends to darken a bit when it dries, so choose a shade a little lighter than the one you want to put on.
3. We choose the type of gloss of the paint
- Matte and dull paints are used to hide imperfections on walls with uneven surfaces.
- The bright ones are the most used in areas of passage and humidity.
We can classify the different paint gloss as follows:
a) Matte paint
It is a dull-looking paint, without gloss.
Its advantage is that it conceals small irregularities in the wall.
If the paint is plastic, it means that it is washable. It is also important that it is breathable, so it does not spoil.
An example of a good matt white plastic paint is Procolor S-500:
There are also anti-humidity or anti-mold plastic paints , such as Rubson:
b) Semi-matt water-based paint
It has low gloss and its resistance to humidity makes it ideal for bathroom and kitchen surfaces.
It is durable and easy to clean and wash.
Its main destination are smooth walls that do not present large imperfections.
c) Satin paint
Its soft shine that provides good aesthetic results.
An example of satin washable plastic paint is that of Rugoplast:
And if you need to paint the tiles in your bathroom or kitchen , the most suitable product is satin enamel , such as the Bruguer Tile Special
d) Glossy paint
It is suitable for walkways, because it is durable and withstands cleaning and scrubbing tasks.
4. Which paint gloss is the best in each area of the house
Apart from choosing interior paint colors , it is important that you also decide how bright they should be:
- In kitchens: a durable, washable paint, such as semi-matte or semi-gloss is recommended
- In bathrooms: a durable paint that makes it difficult for fungus to settle. We can use semi-gloss, semi-matte or satin.
- In living rooms and bedrooms: a matte paint can be the best.
- If you want to hide imperfections on the wall: matte paint
- If you want to create a bright environment: gloss paint
5. How much paint does it take to paint a room
Once you have chosen the color and brightness, the next step is to calculate the amount of paint you will need.
How many square meters do you have to paint?
A wall 3 m long x 2.5 m high is 8.50 square meters of surface to be painted.
Add the surface of the 4 walls and do not deduct door or window holes (better than on a little paint that is missing)
But you also need to know the performance of the liquid: you can see this in the technical sheet that the paint bottle carries.
To give you an idea, 1 liter of paint usually yields:
- 5 square meters if it is an economical painting
- 10 square meters if it is a good quality painting
- 5 square meters if it is with a rough finish
So you add up all the surfaces of the walls and ceilings, and divide it by the yield.
That way you will get the amount of paint that you will spend on each layer you apply.
In other words, if you apply two coats of paint, you have twice as much.
You don’t need to deduct door holes and small windows. Better to get some paint over than to finish it earlier than expected.
6. How many coats of paint do I have to give to the wall of my room
The answer will depend on the state of the supporting wall:
- A coat of paint: if the support is clean of marks, or you paint over a primer with a good quality paint and a color similar to the previous one.
- Two coats of paint: if you are going to apply a different color compared to the previous one.
- Three coats of paint: if the wall is in brick, or with any rough and porous coating.
7. Take out small furniture and protect large ones
Before proceeding to paint the rooms, we must cover all the objects well so that no splashes escape that could cause a disaster.
We take the small furniture out of the room and protect the large ones with plastic or old sheets. We can also group them in the center of the room
We cover the electrical switches and cover doors and windows.
If you unscrew switches, a good trick is to tape the screws to the back of the object.
That way they will be located, you will not lose them and you will not have to go looking where they were from.
8. How to cover cracks in the wall of the room and prepare the surface
We remove the trace of mold using a combination of water and bleach. Then we will wash the area with fresh water. And wait for it to dry.
Once dry, we proceed to regularize and completely smooth the walls, covering cracks and making the nail holes disappear.
For this we use:
- For filling large voids: a self-expanding sealing foam
- To cover roughness and small cracks: putty spread with a spatula
As soon as the putty is dry, we will sand the surface finely to make it very flat and without bumps with respect to the rest of the wall.
And we will pass a damp cloth over the work area to remove the dust generated.
You should never paint over old paint , especially if that layer of paint has creased and peeled off over the years. We must repair the surface by scraping the old paint with trowels and spatulas.
Then we will equalize the area with a fine sandpaper, clean the dust and we will have the perfect area for the support.
That way we guarantee that the new paint won’t lift in the future .
9. Painter’s, body builder’s or masking tape
Masking tape (also called masking tape or masking tape) has an easy-to-remove adhesive rubber.
This tape should cover all edges of switches, sockets, baseboards, and trim that you don’t want to paint.
- The peculiarity of this tape is that the adhesive it carries does not damage the paint .
- Does not lift or leave sticky marks when removed after painting is done.
- It should be spread on a clean and dry surface.
You should also check that the type of tape is the right one for those jobs, because if you use the wrong tape, the moment you start to tear it off you can take paint chips with you.
When you are gluing the tape, do not cut pieces longer than your arm. That way it will be easier for you to place.
Also be careful not to stretch or stress the tape too much.
And as you stick it, go over its surface with a spatula (or your fingernail) to eliminate any air bubbles that remain underneath.
This way you will get everything to be well sealed.
10. Sealant primer for walls (before painting your room)
If the surface of the wall of the room is too porous (brick, concrete, cement …) you should apply a sealing primer on the dry wall.
Before painting a surface it is always recommended to prime with a plastic putty.
This has the following advantages:
- The primer allows the sealing of the pores and serves as a support to improve the adhesion of the final paint layer so that it appears with a uniform tone.
- This is important because if the wall has stains or discolored areas, it will result in areas with different degrees of paint absorption. And then it will be obvious.
- The primer gives a more attractive appearance to the surfaces, highlighting the shine and facilitating fresher and more intense colors.
- Another advantage is that it allows us to save product.
Never paint directly over the old paint layer, especially if it has peeled and wrinkled over time, as it will damage the new paint layer.
We must scrape the old paint from the wall with the help of trowels and spatulas.
And then we will equalize the area by passing a fine sandpaper and removing the dust with a cloth.
This will make it clean for the new paint and prevent it from lifting in the future.
12. Protect the floor or walls that we do not want to stain
Ideally, use large cardboard or plastic sheets.
That way you will have a stable surface on which to move safely.
If you cover the floor with newspapers, the dripping paint will cause the leaves to stick to your feet when you walk over it.
A useful element is the protective film that has adhesive tape incorporated.
This saves time, because you unroll it and quickly stick it to the surface, as you can see in the photo:
13. What roller and brushes to use to paint room walls and ceilings?
In wall painting, brushes are used especially to paint the perimeter edges and small corners.
Different types of rollers will be used on the rest of the surface.
14. We are going to prepare the painting
The first thing: open the bottle and stir the liquid well with a wooden stick.
Make circular movements from the bottom up, until all the paint is of a uniform color and a homogeneous consistency.
It is recommended to paint on dry days better than on rainy days, because on wet days the paint takes longer to dry.
Nor should it be painted on excessively hot days.
Try to use top quality paint , so you will make your walls last up to 10 years while maintaining a perfect color tone.
If the paint bottle has been open for a long time, a crust of dried paint will float on the surface of the liquid. You must remove it so that it does not mix with the content or form lumps.
Now let’s move on to the sections on how to paint a room (finally).
What is painted first in a room, the ceiling or the walls?
A frequently asked question is whether the ceiling or the wall should be painted first . If you need to paint an entire room, you should paint the ceiling of the room first . The reason is because that way you can lean against the wall without risk of getting dirty. And the roof is ready without you touching it again.
This way you can also lean on the wall when painting the perimeter areas and you will work quickly without being aware of the splashes on the vertical surface of the wall. For that reason the ceiling is painted first and the wall later.
15 We started by painting the ceiling of the room
If you are looking to give a whole bedroom a new look, you should start by painting the ceiling and then the wall.
Always in that order.
So you won’t have to worry about splashes hitting the walls. Because you’ll cover them later.
Start by working around the perimeter, sliding the brush around the corners creating an edge of paint with the wall.
A good quality, angled brush is recommended.
Silverline painter brushes They stand out for their good paint absorption and easy painting.
That way you will paint the edge of the ceiling without actually staining the tape .
And most importantly: you will prevent the paint from leaking through any air bubbles that may have remained.
The next step is to rest the paint-saturated roller at one end of the ceiling and begin to slide it, tracing straight lines quickly and continuously across the ceiling of the room.
- Do not paint a V on the ceiling surface.
- Don’t roll over your head.
- Don’t apply a second coat of paint until the first coat is completely dry.
- If you consider a second coat necessary, spread it in passes perpendicular to the first.
16. How to use the brush
Don’t work with your arm under tension.
When brushing, try to work by moving your arm and wrist to ensure good handling with minimal effort.
When applying the first brushstroke to one end, use the thin edge of the brush as a guide, just as if you were holding a pencil.
Three steps to a good use of the brush:
- Start painting with the bristles (the brush hairs) moistened in water and immerse them a third of their length in the pot.
- Remove excess paint by tapping a few times on its internal wall.
- Dip the brush back into the pot again, and repeat the operation.
That way you make sure that the bristles are saturated with paint.
By the way:
Do not wipe the brush against the rim of the container, because the paint dries and the canister will be very difficult to open and close.
- Always apply the paint in a straight line , at a rate that prevents it from running down.
- Press the brush lightly against the surface, to ensure control of the painted line.
- Allow a few minutes to pass before brushing again on a painted surface.
- To avoid bond marks between two pieces of paint, do not finish the brushstroke with sharp edges.
- Smooth or smooth the ends with the brush. It is one of the best tips for painting a room.
17. How to use the roller
Before you start using it, apply the trick of removing all the lint that may come off by gently pressing the roller with the masking tape .
Then dampen it lightly and wipe off excess moisture with a paper towel.
Roll the roller across the deep end of your paint bucket, and remove excess paint from the tray area.
Repeat this operation several times until the roller is saturated. A saturated roller does not squeeze paint when it moves and does not need to be pressed against a surface to paint.
18. How to paint the wall of a room with a roller
We can choose two types of roller depending on the finish we want on the wall: smooth or grainy surface.
How to paint with a roller on a smooth wall:
- We will use wool or synthetic short hair rollers
How to paint a grainy wall -drip-
- To paint or hide the drip on the walls and ceilings, use wool or synthetic long-haired rollers
If cracks are covered or there are marks of paste, the brush should be passed over them, so that later there are no dark marks.
Now, as we did on the ceiling, we also start by delimiting the perimeter edges of the wall with the brush.
- We begin to work on the ceiling or some point of union between the wall and ceiling.
- And then we proceed to spread the paint evenly with the well-drained roller.
19. Process of painting a wall with a roller
We divide the process into three steps:
- We started painting down from the ceiling. This way we avoid dripping problems or dripping paint.
- We paint the smooth wall with a non-drip roller with fine hair. And once we have finished with the first coat we wait a few hours until it dries.
- When it has dried, we apply the second coat of paint.
A good method of painting is to start from the side of the wall, and roll in a “W” , operating the tool with long, smooth strokes, at a uniform pace to avoid splashing.
With each pass the direction of the roller will change slightly and the paint will be mixed well until the marks of passes disappear.
By the way;
Do not think that pressing the roller against the wall will fix the paint better. You will leave marks and make the liquid run off.
Simply slide the tool over the wall and let it do its job on its own.
Don’t squeeze, caress .
And remember to have another shorter roller (or a brush) on hand to work comfortably next to doors, windows, baseboards, moldings …
If you are using more than one pot of paint of the same color, try to mix the paint from the two cans when you are finishing the first one. This will eliminate the small differences in color that may exist between one boat and another, and the wall will be completely homogeneous.
Once the last coat of paint has dried, let it dry and you can remove the painter’s tape.
Remove the painter’s tape while the wall is still wet, otherwise the paint will harden and dry on the tape. If this happens, the way to remove it without tearing off a piece of paint will be by moistening it with white spirit or another solvent.
That said, the job is done. Now you can screw plugs again and hang everything you have on the walls.
- If paint is spilled, wipe it off with a damp, soapy cloth while it’s fresh. Once dry, you will have to scrape and sand.
- If you paint a bathroom, wait (if possible) 3 days before using it again, so that the moisture from the shower does not make it difficult for the walls to dry.
- Before storing the paint, clean the rims of the pot so that no dried paint remains stuck to make it difficult to use later.
And that’s it. Now you will enjoy a room with a renovated look in a simple and economical way.
Try to wash the utensils well with warm soapy water (in latex or water-based paints) or with oil essence (if they are oil-based products).
Clean the hairs on the brush with a comb, and shake and hang the instruments so that the water drains away.